Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com> on 2010/03/01 02:47:09 UTC

New home for ECS, ORO and Regexp?

This is cross-posted, please use your discretion to respond to the
relevant list(s). At a suitable time, I'll try to collate replies in a
summary post to general@.

We have three Jakarta sub-projects that have been discussion points
for moving elsewhere (viz. ECS, ORO and Regexp). For example, the last
time this came up was during the merge development mailing lists
discussion.

There have been a couple of candidate locations spoken of where these
can be moved:
(a) Apache Commons, where they can be maintained -- pending Jakarta
and Commons approvals; and
(b) Apache Attic, where they can be retired -- pending Jakarta approval.

If there is interest in moving one or more to Commons, we can initiate
that topic with Commons some time soon.

So, for each of the three sub-projects: Commons or Attic or something else now?

I'll wait three weeks for any responses, please reply by 3/21 if you
have any comments.

-Rahul

Re: New home for ECS, ORO and Regexp?

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 2:05 PM, Daniel F. Savarese <df...@savarese.org> wrote:

> In message <AA...@mail.gmail.com>, Rahul
> Akolkar writes:
>>Daniel (or anyone else) - Should we check if there is interest at
>>Commons in taking ORO?
>
> I'm reluctant to encourage additional expenditure of effort to keep
> ORO going (although I'm always available to apply patches and respond
> to issue reports).  Let's wait a week and see if "anyone else" would
> like to explore a move to Commons.  If no one expresses interest by
> next Friday, then I'd think it's off to the Attic by default.

<snip/>

Four Fridays later, I haven't seen any other notes so I don't think
anyone is planning more active development at this time.

I'll initiate a vote for the Attic moves in a day or two.

-Rahul

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
Feedback received in thread can more or less be summarized as Hen's note below.

Daniel (or anyone else) - Should we check if there is interest at
Commons in taking ORO?

Vadim (or anyone else) - Should we check if there is interest at
Commons in taking Regexp?

If so, I will offer to initiate a thread over in Commons land if you want.

-Rahul

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.
+1 on ECS to the Attic.

Posted by Mauro Manfrin <ma...@overit.it>.
Hi,

we are still using ECS for many many projects, and we too have no intention of dropping.
We found it a very useful tool for creating html pages programmatically.
One year ago we found some important bugs and we submitted the patch, got the response and resolved the first one.
For the second bug, we never get the response too.
We are using a lightliy customized version, but we prefer moving to Common.

So my company votes A

Posted by Narve Sætre <mr...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

we stil use ECS for a project, and have no intention of dropping it
yet. As a matter of fact I tried to submit some patches to ECS a year
or two ago, but never got any responses. So moving it to Common would
be better for us - although we use a customized version (with the
abovementioned patches) so it does not really matter much.

So my company votes A :)

-n

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 02:47, Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is cross-posted, please use your discretion to respond to the
> relevant list(s). At a suitable time, I'll try to collate replies in a
> summary post to general@.
>
> We have three Jakarta sub-projects that have been discussion points
> for moving elsewhere (viz. ECS, ORO and Regexp). For example, the last
> time this came up was during the merge development mailing lists
> discussion.
>
> There have been a couple of candidate locations spoken of where these
> can be moved:
> (a) Apache Commons, where they can be maintained -- pending Jakarta
> and Commons approvals; and
> (b) Apache Attic, where they can be retired -- pending Jakarta approval.
>
> If there is interest in moving one or more to Commons, we can initiate
> that topic with Commons some time soon.
>
> So, for each of the three sub-projects: Commons or Attic or something else now?
>
> I'll wait three weeks for any responses, please reply by 3/21 if you
> have any comments.
>
> -Rahul

Narve

Re: New home for ECS, ORO and Regexp?

Posted by jean-frederic clere <jf...@gmail.com>.
On 03/11/2010 12:23 AM, Niall Pemberton wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 1:47 AM, Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> This is cross-posted, please use your discretion to respond to the
>> relevant list(s). At a suitable time, I'll try to collate replies in a
>> summary post to general@.
>>
>> We have three Jakarta sub-projects that have been discussion points
>> for moving elsewhere (viz. ECS, ORO and Regexp). For example, the last
>> time this came up was during the merge development mailing lists
>> discussion.
>>
>> There have been a couple of candidate locations spoken of where these
>> can be moved:
>> (a) Apache Commons, where they can be maintained -- pending Jakarta
>> and Commons approvals; and
>> (b) Apache Attic, where they can be retired -- pending Jakarta approval.
>>
>> If there is interest in moving one or more to Commons, we can initiate
>> that topic with Commons some time soon.
>>
>> So, for each of the three sub-projects: Commons or Attic or something else now?
>
> I had a look at actual code changes and releases in the last few years
> and have summarized below:
>
> ECS Last Release: May 2003
> ECS Code Changes (by Robert Burrell Donkin & Henri Yandell):
>    July 2008 - http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=680100
>    July 2008 - http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=680091
>    Sep 2007 - http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=574772
>    May 2003 - http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=168960
>
> ORO Last Release: Dec 2003
> ORO Code Changes (by Daniel Savarese):
>    Dec 2009 - http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=888505
>    Apr 2006 - http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=390702
>    Apr 2006 - http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=390695
>    Oct 2005 - http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=328125
>    Sep 2004 - http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=54495
>
> Regexp Releases: March 2007, Aug 2005, Dec 2002
> Regexp Code Changes (by Vadim Gritsenko):
>    Dec 2009 - http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=890007
>    Mar 2007 - 17 commits r515613 to r517970
>    Jan 2006 - http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=368412
>    Aug 2005 - http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=232365
>    Aug 2005 - http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=232192
>    Aug 2005 - http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=231379
>    May 2004 - http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=126159
>
> I would say definitely the attic for ECS and ORO

+1.

> and probably the
> attic for Regexp. Perhaps each should make a final release before
> moving.

If you make a release then it is active so we will have to wait to move
it...

Cheers

Jean-Frederic

Re: New home for ECS, ORO and Regexp?

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 1:47 AM, Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is cross-posted, please use your discretion to respond to the
> relevant list(s). At a suitable time, I'll try to collate replies in a
> summary post to general@.
>
> We have three Jakarta sub-projects that have been discussion points
> for moving elsewhere (viz. ECS, ORO and Regexp). For example, the last
> time this came up was during the merge development mailing lists
> discussion.
>
> There have been a couple of candidate locations spoken of where these
> can be moved:
> (a) Apache Commons, where they can be maintained -- pending Jakarta
> and Commons approvals; and
> (b) Apache Attic, where they can be retired -- pending Jakarta approval.
>
> If there is interest in moving one or more to Commons, we can initiate
> that topic with Commons some time soon.
>
> So, for each of the three sub-projects: Commons or Attic or something else now?

I had a look at actual code changes and releases in the last few years
and have summarized below:

ECS Last Release: May 2003
ECS Code Changes (by Robert Burrell Donkin & Henri Yandell):
   July 2008 - http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=680100
   July 2008 - http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=680091
   Sep 2007 - http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=574772
   May 2003 - http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=168960

ORO Last Release: Dec 2003
ORO Code Changes (by Daniel Savarese):
   Dec 2009 - http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=888505
   Apr 2006 - http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=390702
   Apr 2006 - http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=390695
   Oct 2005 - http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=328125
   Sep 2004 - http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=54495

Regexp Releases: March 2007, Aug 2005, Dec 2002
Regexp Code Changes (by Vadim Gritsenko):
   Dec 2009 - http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=890007
   Mar 2007 - 17 commits r515613 to r517970
   Jan 2006 - http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=368412
   Aug 2005 - http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=232365
   Aug 2005 - http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=232192
   Aug 2005 - http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=231379
   May 2004 - http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=126159

I would say definitely the attic for ECS and ORO and probably the
attic for Regexp. Perhaps each should make a final release before
moving.

Niall

Posted by Thomas Vandahl <tv...@apache.org>.
On 01.03.10 02:47, Rahul Akolkar wrote:
> So, for each of the three sub-projects: Commons or Attic or something else now?

ECS and ORO are used by Turbine, however I guess we have no problem with
moving them to the Attic. Actually, I signed up for the Attic-PMC
because of ECS.

Bye, Thomas.