Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> on 2009/07/28 18:12:48 UTC

next release plan - sandbox - which components?

Let's get a list of sandbox projects we plan to include in the
2.3.0-incubating release.

The reason for doing this is to better update the version info for the
sandbox.  For uimaj we use maven properties and have the version info in
just one place for all the projects.  We could do that too, for sandbox
projects which are in the "normal" release cycle.

Here's the current projects, and my thoughts on including in the release
(quick summary - release all except OpenCalaisAnnotatorGroovy, with some
warinings about projects which may be omitted, if not ready).

Given this, to make the release easier, I propose updating the
SandboxDistr pom to
a) include the new sandbox projects considered for the release, and
b) to define the sandbox release number(s)

and then change the sandbox projects to specify this pom as their parent.

The * in the list below (of all sandbox projects) means it is included
in the sandbox distr currently as a <module>

 BSFAnnotator - yes (bean scripting framework)
 CasViewerEclipsePlugin - no (replaced by CasEditor)
 ConceptMapper - yes (if ready by release time)(initial release)
 ConfigurableFeatureExtractor - yes (if ready by release time)(initial
release)
*DictionaryAnnotator - yes
 FsVariables - yes
 Lucas - yes (if ready)(initial release)
 OpenCalaisAnnotator - yes
 OpenCalaisAnnotatorGroovy - no (not updated to work with current Calais
levels)
*PearPackagingAntTask - yes
*PearPackagingMavenPlugin - yes
*RegularExpressionAnnotator -yes
 SandboxDistr - yes (shared info used by other projects)
 SandboxDocs - yes (shared info used by docbooks)
*SimpleServer - yes
 SimpleUimaAsService - yes
 SnowballAnnotator - yes
*Tagger - yes (this is the hidden markov model tagger)
 TikaAnnotator - yes
 uima-as - yes
*WhiteSpaceTokenizer - yes

Currently some of the sandbox projects (e.g. PearPackagingMavenPlug)
have not had their version numbers updated - and I could either update
them to a specific version number (e.g. 2.3.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT) or
use the convention we have for uimaj where we set these to a ${property}
and share the update of that in the SandboxDistr.

Doing this would make the sandbox builds more like the main one, and
consolidate the places where we need to change version numbers.

Opinions?

-Marshall

Re: next release plan - sandbox - which components?

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Marshall Schor wrote:
> Let's get a list of sandbox projects we plan to include in the
> 2.3.0-incubating release.
>
> The reason for doing this is to better update the version info for the
> sandbox.  For uimaj we use maven properties and have the version info in
> just one place for all the projects.  We could do that too, for sandbox
> projects which are in the "normal" release cycle.
>
> Here's the current projects, and my thoughts on including in the release
> (quick summary - release all except OpenCalaisAnnotatorGroovy, with some
> warinings about projects which may be omitted, if not ready).
>
> Given this, to make the release easier, I propose updating the
> SandboxDistr pom to
> a) include the new sandbox projects considered for the release, and

Excepting uima-as which has its own separate build, and is not itself a
project but a set of projects
-Marshall

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Hi Rico - thanks for the reminder :-)  I'll add it... -Marshall

Posted by Rico Landefeld <ri...@googlemail.com>.
hi there,

Posted by Tong Fin <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Thilo Goetz wrote:
> Marshall Schor wrote:
>
>> Let's get a list of sandbox projects we plan to include in the
>> 2.3.0-incubating release.
>>
>> The reason for doing this is to better update the version info for the
>> sandbox.  For uimaj we use maven properties and have the version info in
>> just one place for all the projects.  We could do that too, for sandbox
>> projects which are in the "normal" release cycle.
>>
>> Here's the current projects, and my thoughts on including in the release
>> (quick summary - release all except OpenCalaisAnnotatorGroovy, with some
>> warinings about projects which may be omitted, if not ready).
>>
>> Given this, to make the release easier, I propose updating the
>> SandboxDistr pom to
>> a) include the new sandbox projects considered for the release, and
>> b) to define the sandbox release number(s)
>>
>> and then change the sandbox projects to specify this pom as their parent.
>>
>> The * in the list below (of all sandbox projects) means it is included
>> in the sandbox distr currently as a <module>
>>
>>  BSFAnnotator - yes (bean scripting framework)
>>  CasViewerEclipsePlugin - no (replaced by CasEditor)
>>  ConceptMapper - yes (if ready by release time)(initial release)
>>  ConfigurableFeatureExtractor - yes (if ready by release time)(initial
>> release)
>> *DictionaryAnnotator - yes
>>  FsVariables - yes
>>  Lucas - yes (if ready)(initial release)
>>  OpenCalaisAnnotator - yes
>>  OpenCalaisAnnotatorGroovy - no (not updated to work with current Calais
>> levels)
>> *PearPackagingAntTask - yes
>> *PearPackagingMavenPlugin - yes
>>

> Are you going to move the PearPackagingMavenPlugin to the core?
> There was agreement that we should do so:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/uima-dev%40incubator.apache.org/msg09655.html

OK - missed that one.  I'll move it to the core.

Posted by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de>.