Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Ned Slider <ne...@unixmail.co.uk> on 2008/10/10 18:40:06 UTC

FB_SOFTTABS [in 72_active.cf] suggestion

Hi,

I'm seeing quite a few spam lately with the string "S0ftTabs" (hits 134
spam (5.8%) in a spam corpus of 2300 from the last week).

This isn't detected by the current FB_SOFTTABS rule due to obfuscation
of the "o" with "0", but otherwise would be.

The current rule looks like:

body     FB_SOFTTABS               /\bsoft\s?t?abs\b/i
describe FB_SOFTTABS               Phrase: Softabs

Would it be possible to test it with also detecting the obfuscation as I
don't believe that should hit any more ham than the current rule and
should increase detection for current spam. Maybe something like:

body     FB_SOFTTABS               /\bs(o|0)ft\s?t?abs\b/i
describe FB_SOFTTABS               Phrase: Softabs

I don't know if it would also be worth checking (a|@) at the same time
although I see no hits against "t@bs" at present.

Also, being relatively new to this list, is it best to air suggestions
such as this here first for discussion or should I just go ahead a file
a bug report?

Regards,

Ned

Re: FB_SOFTTABS [in 72_active.cf] suggestion

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Fri, 10 Oct 2008, Ned Slider wrote:

> Would it be possible to test it with also detecting the obfuscation as I
> don't believe that should hit any more ham than the current rule and should
> increase detection for current spam. Maybe something like:
>
> body     FB_SOFTTABS               /\bs(o|0)ft\s?t?abs\b/i
> describe FB_SOFTTABS               Phrase: Softabs
>
> I don't know if it would also be worth checking (a|@) at the same time
> although I see no hits against "t@bs" at present.

Is there some reason this doesn't use replacetags?

body FUZZY_SOFTTABS  /\b<S><O><F><T><SP>?<T>?<A><B><S>\b/i
describe FUZZY_SOFTTABS  Attempt to obfuscate words in spam
replace_rules FUZZY_SOFTTABS

It looks like there's a lot of FB_ rules that could benefit from
replacetags - is there some reason SA isn't relying more heavily on it?

   We have to realize that people who run the government can and do
   change. Our society and laws must assume that bad people -
   criminals even - will run the government, at least part of the
   time.                                               -- John Gilmore
  25 days until the Presidential Election