Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org> on 2002/12/08 19:23:24 UTC

JSR on metadata

Probably it has been already discussed but I wonder hwo you people feel
about

JSR 175 - A Metadata Facility for the JavaTM Programming Language

I hear that the time schedule is probably Q4-2003 (release of JDK 1.5
aka tigris), might be worth keep an eye on... BTW, do we have anyone
from avalon in that expert group? in case not, are there volunteers for
that?

[happy to send a message about technical details on this list :)]

--
Stefano Mazzocchi                               <st...@apache.org>

Re: JSR on metadata

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Peter Donald wrote:

>>>you mean tiger ? :)
>>
>>Yeah, sorry, living with jon is getting me too much exposure on
>>tigris.org :-)
>

> :)

>>>Essentially what it comes down to is storing runtime attributes/javadoc
>>>tags in .class files. Checkout commons-attributes (or XDoclet) for an
>>>example under development.
>>
>>Do you know if those projects are talking with that JSR? it would be a
>>shame to duplicate efforts.
>

> I believe the JSR was kicked off due to these projects. ie XDoclet+EJBDoclet
> and then BEAs version combined with .NETs attributes was where it came from.
> However I don't think any of these guys are on the EG but they are tracking
> it I believe and I think are going to work towards it when it comes out.
> Essentially commons-attributes is a facade that will allow metadata to be
> sucked out of multiple sources I think.

Great. Good to know.

If you hear about anybody on those groups (or around here) that wants to
join the JSR, let me know and I'll try to make it happening.

--
Stefano Mazzocchi                               <st...@apache.org>

Re: JSR on metadata

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>.
On Mon, 9 Dec 2002 08:07, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> >>JSR 175 - A Metadata Facility for the JavaTM Programming Language
> >>
> >>I hear that the time schedule is probably Q4-2003 (release of JDK 1.5
> >>aka tigris),
> >
> > you mean tiger ? :)
>
> Yeah, sorry, living with jon is getting me too much exposure on
> tigris.org :-)

:)

> >>might be worth keep an eye on... BTW, do we have anyone
> >>from avalon in that expert group? in case not, are there volunteers for
> >>that?
> >
> > Essentially what it comes down to is storing runtime attributes/javadoc
> > tags in .class files. Checkout commons-attributes (or XDoclet) for an
> > example under development.
>
> Do you know if those projects are talking with that JSR? it would be a
> shame to duplicate efforts.

I believe the JSR was kicked off due to these projects. ie XDoclet+EJBDoclet
and then BEAs version combined with .NETs attributes was where it came from.
However I don't think any of these guys are on the EG but they are tracking
it I believe and I think are going to work towards it when it comes out.
Essentially commons-attributes is a facade that will allow metadata to be
sucked out of multiple sources I think.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald

Re: JSR on metadata

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Peter Donald wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Dec 2002 05:23, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
>>Probably it has been already discussed but I wonder hwo you people feel
>>about
>

> Depends how it ends up ;)
>
> Theres some smart people involved with it and people who also come from
> strongly typed metadata side of things so hopefully it will end up good.
>
> Essentially it is exactly where we we want to go ;)

Yes, that's what I figured.

Re: JSR on metadata

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>.
On Mon, 9 Dec 2002 05:23, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> Probably it has been already discussed but I wonder hwo you people feel
> about

Depends how it ends up ;)

Theres some smart people involved with it and people who also come from
strongly typed metadata side of things so hopefully it will end up good.

Essentially it is exactly where we we want to go ;)

> JSR 175 - A Metadata Facility for the JavaTM Programming Language
>
> I hear that the time schedule is probably Q4-2003 (release of JDK 1.5
> aka tigris),

you mean tiger ? :)