Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> on 2005/02/08 22:24:38 UTC

Re: [site] download pages

+1 on this change in general

yes, it's a lot of pages, but one of the #1 issues people have with
Jakarta is simply finding the right download.

The formatting is still iffy; I think it would be more readable in a
tabular format, with a column for MD5 and a column for PGP.

I would also prefer the full file name, rather than just the version
number; if I click "1.0.tar.gz" I don't want to be surprised with
"hivemind-1.0.tar.gz".

Thanks for putting in some work on this!

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 19:17:49 -0500 (EST), Henri Yandell
<ba...@generationjava.com> wrote:

> Next on my list of renovations are the Jakarta download pages. Although
> the cgi isn't hooked up, how do the following generated files look?
>
> http://www.apache.org/~bayard/jakarta/site/downloads/download.html
>
> In case it looks too crap (because of the missing cgi), look at:
>
> http://www.apache.org/~bayard/jakarta/site/binindex.html
>
> to see how the page normally looks when cgi is not present.
>
> The Commons download page is still a big list, it could also be broken
> down into a separate page per component. The same could happen for
> Taglibs, currently I've stayed with the link rather than having individual
> Taglibs be in the download section, the aim being to change current things
> as little as possible.
>
> There are some simple flaws that need fixing, md5/pgp's are shown even
> when not available, and the mirror info, md5 info and pgp info are shown
> even when they're not available. All easy to fix. Also a few missing
> things like links to readme's and change-reports. Also easy enough to fix.
>
> Deployment-wise, my idea would be to replace binindex and srcindex with
> this download.html page. It's small enough that binindex.cgi#tomcat won't
> be a problem when the #tomcat fails.
>
> Rather than having projects linking to download.html though, they would
> link directly to their particular page. So ORO would kill its current link
> of binindex.cgi#oro and move to downloads/downloads_oro.html.
>
> The pages are created by taking a downloads.xml file, turning it into
> xdocs-format pages and then turning them into html pages. The interesting
> stuff is in:
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/site/xdocs/downloads/
>
> I changed my original suggestion of having a dynamic page which could be
> given any filename as I want to avoid having too much in the way of
> dynamic stuff running.
>
> It's generated with 'ant -f build-downloads.xml' in the jakarta/site/
> directory, and puts the output into tmp/site/downloads/.
>
> Anyway. More work to do, but I wanted to see what opinions there were
> before I put anymore time into cleaning it up :)
>
> Opinions?
>
> Hen

Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Jakarta Tapestry
Creator, Jakarta HiveMind

Re: [site] download pages

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 14:39:27 -0500, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 22:03:57 +0000, robert burrell donkin
> <rd...@apache.org> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2005-02-08 at 21:24, Howard Lewis Ship wrote:
> >

> > > yes, it's a lot of pages, but one of the #1 issues people have with
> > > Jakarta is simply finding the right download.
> > >
> > > The formatting is still iffy; I think it would be more readable in a
> > > tabular format, with a column for MD5 and a column for PGP.
> >
> > +1
>
> Will do.

This was a complete lie. Turns out that it's damn hard to line it up
using CSS, going to a tabular format is also hard as it's currently
hierarchical data and tricky to do in a generational way. The simplest
solution I found (thanks wife) is to drop it down a line:

http://jakarta.apache.org/~bayard/jakarta/site/downloads/downloads_tapestry.html

Any opinions?

Hen

Re: [site] download pages

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 14:39:27 -0500, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 22:03:57 +0000, robert burrell donkin
> <rd...@apache.org> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2005-02-08 at 21:24, Howard Lewis Ship wrote:
> > > +1 on this change in general
> >
> > +1
> >
> > though (for some reason) i find the aesthetic a little unbalanced.
> >
> > i'd be inclined to prune.
>
> +1. Probably still too noisy on the front page.

I've pruned.

> > the link to the archives duplicates content already present on the
> > sub-projects pages. the nightly builds could be moved onto those pages.
>
> +1 to nightlies being at a lower level.

They're now there.

> Archives should stay at the top level as it links to Jakarta archives
> and not others.

But I've made it an ad-hoc link in the text, rather than giving it its
entire section.

> > the covalent link could be removed (i'm not even sure whether covalent
> > still runs gump.)
>
> It doesn't. I fixed it to the correct link a while back.

Kept this on the main page for the moment.

I've also added a 'browse download area', inspired by xml.apache.org's
download page wording, to each subproject.

http://jakarta.apache.org/~bayard/jakarta/site/downloads/download.html

Thoughts?

I suspect I should css some spacing between the list items now; they
get a bit crammed. Other than that, my todo's before proposing we
replace this are:

1) Get Ant copying the download.cgi (or another way to get the cgi to
work for each file). Not even sure if copies of the download.cgi will
work.
2) Fix missing ul tags on sub-sub-project pages. Tomcat, Velocity, Commons etc.

Immediately following the move, I'd then probably:

1) Improve the Taglibs download pages to be similar to the Commons
download pages.
2) Start suggesting that subprojects link to their subpages and not to
the top one.

Hen

Re: [site] download pages

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
<rd...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-02-08 at 21:24, Howard Lewis Ship wrote:
> > +1 on this change in general
>
> +1
>
> though (for some reason) i find the aesthetic a little unbalanced.
>
> i'd be inclined to prune.

+1. Probably still too noisy on the front page.

> the link to the archives duplicates content already present on the
> sub-projects pages. the nightly builds could be moved onto those pages.

+1 to nightlies being at a lower level.
Archives should stay at the top level as it links to Jakarta archives
and not others.

> the covalent link could be removed (i'm not even sure whether covalent
> still runs gump.)

It doesn't. I fixed it to the correct link a while back.

> > yes, it's a lot of pages, but one of the #1 issues people have with
> > Jakarta is simply finding the right download.
> >
> > The formatting is still iffy; I think it would be more readable in a
> > tabular format, with a column for MD5 and a column for PGP.
>
> +1

Will do.

> > I would also prefer the full file name, rather than just the version
> > number; if I click "1.0.tar.gz" I don't want to be surprised with
> > "hivemind-1.0.tar.gz".
>
> +1

Currently the xml has name and href. Name (ie 1.0.tar.gz) is set to
match the name on the current binindex.cgi page. One idea would be to
change it so that if name is not set, the xsl somehow shows the last
element of the href.

Or even to just throw out name completely and force it to have the
last element of the href.

Hen

Re: [site] download pages

Posted by robert burrell donkin <rd...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 2005-02-08 at 21:24, Howard Lewis Ship wrote:
> +1 on this change in general

+1

though (for some reason) i find the aesthetic a little unbalanced.

i'd be inclined to prune.

the link to the archives duplicates content already present on the
sub-projects pages. the nightly builds could be moved onto those pages.
the covalent link could be removed (i'm not even sure whether covalent
still runs gump.)

> yes, it's a lot of pages, but one of the #1 issues people have with
> Jakarta is simply finding the right download.
>
> The formatting is still iffy; I think it would be more readable in a
> tabular format, with a column for MD5 and a column for PGP.

+1

> I would also prefer the full file name, rather than just the version
> number; if I click "1.0.tar.gz" I don't want to be surprised with
> "hivemind-1.0.tar.gz".

+1

> Thanks for putting in some work on this!

+1

- robert