Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Owen Densmore <ow...@backspaces.net> on 2004/11/18 18:25:48 UTC

Root required for Install?

I couldn't find the answer to this in the various faqs and archives so
I'll ask here:

Is it possible to install Subversion on my remote server (I use the
HostGo web hosting service) WITHOUT having to be root?  I've tried this
with CVS in the past and failed.  But my HostGo server has a solid
Apache installation and has opened up the user level directives
(.htaccess) considerably.

Owen

Re: Root required for Install?

Posted by Mike Mason <mg...@thoughtworks.net>.
Owen Densmore wrote:

> I couldn't find the answer to this in the various faqs and archives so
> I'll ask here:
>
> Is it possible to install Subversion on my remote server (I use the
> HostGo web hosting service) WITHOUT having to be root?  I've tried
> this with CVS in the past and failed.  But my HostGo server has a
> solid Apache installation and has opened up the user level directives
> (.htaccess) considerably.

That depends (sorry!). If you want to run svnserve or svn+ssh you'll
need an account on the machine to which you have ssh access. This may or
may not be the case with your hosting provider. If you want to integrate
with Apache, you'll need to be able to load apache modules and configure
Locations - this might very well not be doable with your provider.

Your best bet is probably to ask them directly whether they can support
Subversion. If not, there are a number of places providing Subversion
hosting starting very cheap (free). There are some links about halfway
down this page: http://subversion.tigris.org/project_links.html

Cheers,
Mike.