Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Olivier COTASSON <oc...@yahoo.fr> on 2001/10/16 15:55:07 UTC

How-to prevent Directory Listing ? [RE]

Okay Guys !

Here is the answer :

I actually found out... by myself.

It is a boolean parameter in server.xml or web.xml,
which name i don't remember

Just do a text search for "true" (or "false") in this
file. One of this Boolean variable as a pretty
self-explanatory name. You will find out by yourself.
You just have to swap its value.

Hope this helps.

Un nouveau Nokia Game commence.
Allez sur http://fr.yahoo.com/nokiagame avant le 3 novembre
pour participer à cette aventure tous médias.

Re: How-to prevent Directory Listing ? [RE]

Posted by Denis Balazuc <de...@trader.com>.
The option is "suppress" in StaticInterceptor.
However, I benefit from this message to ask this question to Tomcat devs :

I guess it is too late to change the name of the option in future
versions...
A LOT of questions asked about Tomcat relate to directory listing and it is
clear that the name "suppress" is not a good name for such an option.
I know no one who found it without having to browse FAQs and docs...although
there's a comment on server.xml.
(anyway, comments in default configuration files are bound to disappear in
production environments)

B the way, I intervene on the debate about "trusted" or "privileged" and
vote for "privileged"....
Not because it is used in JDK doc, but because it is far more meaningful
than "trusted".
But I guess this cannot be changed - which I agree with.

My 2 cents of the day to emphasize that naming is more than important ;-)