Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by David Brady <da...@handson.com> on 2001/03/02 00:05:52 UTC

Problem with DTD comments? Where do I look?

I'm having trouble incorporating the following dtd (used to validate
some Palm PQA technologies) into our system w/Xalan 2.0:
http://www.palm.com/dev/webclipping-html-dtd-11.dtd

It includes a declaration:

<!ENTITY % HTML.Version
        "-//POS//DTD WCA HTML 1.1//EN"

        -- Typical usage (optional):

            <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//POS//DTD WCA HTML 1.1//EN"

"http://www.palm.com/dev/webclipping-html-dtd-11.dtd">
        -->

I get the following exception message - note that no stack trace was
generated, but at least a message was given:  "The declaration for the
entity "HTML.Version" must end with '>'."

If I use a local copy of the above and change it to (note the comments):

<!ENTITY % HTML.Version
        "-//POS//DTD WCA HTML 1.1//EN">

        <!-- Typical usage (optional):

            <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//POS//DTD WCA HTML 1.1//EN"

"http://www.palm.com/dev/webclipping-html-dtd-11.dtd">
        -->

All is well - at least until the next declaration with inline comments.

Any suggestions?

Thanks...