Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by "Everitt, Andrew" <An...@gbr.xerox.com> on 2001/10/29 17:04:07 UTC

HTTPClient versions ...

Hi!

We have been using Slide for WebDAV support in our product and got looking
at the HTTP client for integration with an HTTP internet fax service. I've
run into a bit of a problem with the differences between the slide version
of the HTTP client and the version in the commons area. The slide version
seems to have some enhancements, specifically that HttpException supports
storing the HTTP status code. The version in HTTPClient 2.0 alpha 1 doesn't
have this but does have things like HttpConnection.

I may not be being too clear here so I hope you see my problem. I guess that
the HTTP client isn't fully split off from Slide yet or something? We are
pretty keen to use the HTTP client as it will save us having to write
something pretty similar - what can we do to help get things sorted? or
maybe I've missing something ;-). Anyway if we can find a way round these
teething problems we have some development/test resources to throw at making
things work well.

Cheers,
Andi

Re: HTTPClient versions ...

Posted by Dirk Verbeeck <di...@pandora.be>.
Hi

You can find the whole history in the mailing archives but the current
situation is that there are 2 HttpClients available.

The original "slide" version 0.x, 1.x
The new "commons" version 2.x

They are not source code compatible and the slide team has decided to
continue using the original version inside the slide CVS (there were
plans to do an official commons 1.0 release but releasing an integrated
http+webdav client is easier).

If you find a bug or want some extra functionality in the slide version
come over to the slide mailing lists and just ask. We are still
improving it and continue to support our user base.
You can of course start with the commons version but be careful not to
use it with slide.

Can you explain a bit what you want to do with the HttpClient?
(what you expect from the client library)
I have been thinking about a new http layer for slide2 and have been
looking at different projects using http as a communication layer. Any
input is welcome.

Dirk