Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Hugh Fox <hu...@drcauto.com> on 2003/01/08 00:03:51 UTC

[users@httpd] Setting NOCACHE on downloadable executables

Is it possible to set up a directory in Apache/1.3.26 so that all files in
that directory are automatically set not to cache?

For example, I want to send out emails saying "download this file:
http://mydomain.com/download/file.exe" and not have the possibility of a
corrupt version of file.exe in a cache between my server and the client.
There may be many files in the download directory.

TIA

Hugh

Re: [users@httpd] Setting NOCACHE on downloadable executables

Posted by Bruno Wolff III <br...@wolff.to>.
On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 10:03:51 +1100,
  Hugh Fox <hu...@drcauto.com> wrote:
> Is it possible to set up a directory in Apache/1.3.26 so that all files in
> that directory are automatically set not to cache?
>
> For example, I want to send out emails saying "download this file:
> http://mydomain.com/download/file.exe" and not have the possibility of a
> corrupt version of file.exe in a cache between my server and the client.
> There may be many files in the download directory.

I think 'cache-control: private' is what you want to use if you don't
want proxies to cache things. You normally shouldn't have to worry
about this unless file.exe is different for each user. If the file
changes fairly often, it may be more appropiate to use an expires
header with a short expiration time.