Posted to dev@tez.apache.org by Eric Wohlstadter <ew...@hortonworks.com> on 2018/03/23 00:16:42 UTC

[DISCUSS] Aligning master with Hadoop 3 and create separate 0.9.x line

Hi all,
I’d like to propose that we move towards aligning the Tez master branch with support for Hadoop 3+ only.
 A separate branch and distribution (e.g. on Maven Central) would be created to maintain the 0.9.x line with support for Hadoop 2.7+.

This will help ensure that Tez can continue to move forward with other progress in the greater Hadoop community.
Since Hadoop 3 is not backward compatible with Hadoop 2, my opinion is that it is too difficult for Tez to maintain such backward compatibility

  *   Tez master branch would support only Hadoop 3+ moving forward
  *   Bug fixes would be required to be pushed to both to master and the 0.9.x line
  *   Major feature or performance improvements would be required to be pushed to both master and the 0.9.x line (unless they require Hadoop 3+)
  *   Minor feature or performance improvements can be pushed only to master
  *   A new release with Hadoop 3+ only support would be placed on high priority (possibly 0.10?)
     *   At a minimum the issues under TEZ-3903 would be required

Please help to provide any feedback or comments about this unofficial proposal.
This is not an official vote but it would help to get people’s thoughts/questions or unofficial (+1, -1).

Re: [DISCUSS] Aligning master with Hadoop 3 and create separate 0.9.x line

Posted by Kuhu Shukla <ks...@oath.com.INVALID>.
+1 for the proposed plan.

Posted by Jason Lowe <jl...@oath.com.INVALID>.