Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Daniel Staal <DS...@usa.net> on 2006/10/01 03:43:22 UTC

Re: SpamAssassin & MX Gateway Server

--As of September 30, 2006 12:32:41 PM -0500, Russ B. is alleged to have
said:

> Basically, anything that arrives over 15 in score, will have that
> SPAM-STATUS header embedded, so it does NOT run SpamAssassin on this
> server, and just puts it in the Caught-Spam. If it has LOWER than a score
> of 15 from the MX, then the MX server didn't put a header on it, so it's
> processed here and filed here.
>
> Why do that? Because my users on the sendmail server farm have a whole
> variety of score choices they are using, so I want their specfic score to
> be utilized - but by making the score on the MX 15, I'm saving the
> sendmail server from a WHOLE LOT of processing, and nobody's going to have
> a default score over 15... so that's a safe number?

--As for the rest, it is mine.

Just as a thought: Since you are running procmail on them anyway, it should
be possible to have a script in there that reads the desired score and uses
the score count Spamassassin embeds in the 'X-Spam-Level:' header to filter.

It wouldn't reformat the mail (at least not without a lot of work), but you
could at least file it differently...

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.

Re: SpamAssassin & MX Gateway Server

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: "Daniel Staal" <DS...@usa.net>
> --As of September 30, 2006 12:32:41 PM -0500, Russ B. is alleged to have said:
>
>> Basically, anything that arrives over 15 in score, will have that
>> SPAM-STATUS header embedded, so it does NOT run SpamAssassin on this
>> server, and just puts it in the Caught-Spam. If it has LOWER than a score
>> of 15 from the MX, then the MX server didn't put a header on it, so it's
>> processed here and filed here.
>>
>> Why do that? Because my users on the sendmail server farm have a whole
>> variety of score choices they are using, so I want their specfic score to
>> be utilized - but by making the score on the MX 15, I'm saving the
>> sendmail server from a WHOLE LOT of processing, and nobody's going to have
>> a default score over 15... so that's a safe number?
>
> --As for the rest, it is mine.
>
> Just as a thought: Since you are running procmail on them anyway, it should > be
> possible to have a script in there that reads the desired score and uses > the score
> count Spamassassin embeds in the 'X-Spam-Level:' header to filter.
>
> It wouldn't reformat the mail (at least not without a lot of work), but you > could at
> least file it differently...

If you can have per user rules and system wide Bayes it becomes real
easy to have the per user rules be one line, their spam threshold. Of
course, with per user Bayes you can have far better anti-spam because
you are not dealing with "one person's ham is another person's spam."
But it gets to be a maintenance nightmare as the number of users goes
up and the user computer sophistication goes down.

{^_^}