Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com> on 2005/01/02 19:52:40 UTC

Re: jakarta-site2 now live on xslt

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005, Mark Thomas wrote:

> Henri Yandell wrote:
>> I've removed the Website Maintenance link too, it no longer makes much
>> sense and nobody seemed to mind the suggestion of killing it.  It has (the
>> page isn't gone yet, just the link) a lot of stuff about using
>> jakarta-site2 as a system for other sites (I thought somebody mentioned
>> Tomcat did this, but looking at their CVS repo I can't see references to
>> jakarta-site2).
>
> There is a reference in jakarta-tomcat-site\build.bat (and build.sh). At the
> moment the tomcat site won't build using CVS HEAD.

Ack, sorry. I didn't think to look in the scripts, just the build.xml.

>> If the old version is needed however, it is tagged under the tag
>> PRE-ANAKIA-REMOVAL.
>
> And this is the obvious work-around until one of us takes a look at this.

Let me know if I can do anything to help; I obviously don't intend to go
breaking things for any of the subprojects.

Hen

RE: jakarta-site2 now live on xslt

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
sebb wrote:
> Looks like a *lot* of other projects use the Anakia jars and/or
> stylesheets from jakarta-site2 - not just jakarta-tomcat-site.

Including, FWIW, JAMES (ex-Jakarta project).  But we can clone what we need
until/if we replace it.

	--- Noel

RE: jakarta-site2 now live on xslt

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On 3 Jan 2005, at 00:15, Henri Yandell wrote:

> On Sun, 2 Jan 2005, sebb wrote:
>
>> Looks like a *lot* of other projects use the Anakia jars and/or
>> stylesheets from jakarta-site2 - not just jakarta-tomcat-site...so
>> perhaps those need to be restored.
>
> Sites with the older l&f:
>
> Taglibs, Velocity, BSF, ECS, JMeter, Lucene, ORO, Regexp, Slide,
> Tomcat, Watchdog.
>
> However, the following all appear to be self contained/non-users:
>
> Taglibs, Velocity, BSF, Watchdog, Slide.
>
>> Sorry, should have remembered that, as it used to apply to jmeter...
>
> + JMeter.
>
> So the broken ones look like they are Tomcat, Regexp, ORO, Lucene, ECS.

the ECS web site build is bust anyway. (i have to manually hack stuff
whenever i need to change it.) could do with a tidy up after the move
to subversion.

- robert

Re: jakarta-site2 now live on xslt

Posted by Martin Cooper <mf...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 09:02:23 -0500 (EST), Henri Yandell
<ba...@generationjava.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Jan 2005, sebb wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 19:15:59 -0500 (EST), Henri Yandell
> > <ba...@generationjava.com> wrote:

> >> Sites with the older l&f:
> >>
> >> Taglibs, Velocity, BSF, ECS, JMeter, Lucene, ORO, Regexp, Slide, Tomcat,
> >> Watchdog.
> >>
> >> However, the following all appear to be self contained/non-users:
> >>
> >> Taglibs, Velocity, BSF, Watchdog, Slide.

> >> + JMeter.
> >>
> >> So the broken ones look like they are Tomcat, Regexp, ORO, Lucene, ECS.
> >>

> > I did a search for the string "jakarta-site2" in the build.xml,v files
> > in CVS, and that produced quite a lot of hits (see
> > http://www.apache.org/~sebb/js2.txt - note that the matched text is
> > *followed* by the file name).
> >
> > Some of the matches relate to history items, but some are in the HEAD
> > versions of the files, for example:
> >
> > http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/ant/proposal/ant-site/anakia/build.xml?only_with_tag=HEAD&view=markup
> >
> > http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-commons/httpclient/build.xml?only_with_tag=HEAD&view=markup
> >
> > Of course we don't know if the build targets are actually still used,
> > but it suggests that these files are rather more generally used.
>
> Both HttpClient and Ant appear to use Maven or Forrest for their sites
> though, so I'd think it's a pretty low chance that they still use things.
>
> I think all of Commons is Mavenised, and I checked all of Jakarta in this
> way to find old style l&f and then examined those by hand. Looking at the
> graduated projects, Struts and James still look old style; so they've got
> a good chance of still using site2.
>
> Looking at them, both Struts and James appear to be on XSLT variants, but
> no use of the site2 jars or stylesheets.

WRT Struts, it does not depend on site2. Its site generation is self-contained.

--
Martin Cooper

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@gmail.com>.
FYI James uses XSLT with no dependance on Anakia or Jakarta-site

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005, robert burrell donkin wrote:

> On 3 Jan 2005, at 14:25, John Rasmussen wrote:
>
>> Henri,
>>
>> I've followed these listings for some time, and as a member of a leading
>> xml
>> aware networking organization, have wondered if my expertise and experience
>> could be of value.
>
> expertise and experience are always valued here :)

You mean you could know more than the O'Reilly XSLT book that I have to
pour through to remind myself of simple changes? :)

Any help is very welcome. The only one that leaps to mind right now is the
Ant xslt task, where I'm having to c+p a bit more than I want to. So not
really an xslt problem. Seb's recent suggestions fixed the major xslt
problems I was facing.

However, I'll start to compile a list; or you could take a look at
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-site2/xdocs/stylesheets/site.xsl?view=markup
and let us know what's screwy.

There's obviously a lot that needs to move into CSS. I've a set of changes
for the 3-tier version that aren't checked in yet; though as I screwed up
it is viewable in an older version:

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-site2/xdocs/stylesheets/site.xsl?rev=1.15&view=markup

It's generally not much different. project.xml changes to site.xml and I
modify that to have navbar elements. The site/logo bit needs to be removed
too.

> the reason these discussions are on a public list is so that anyone in the
> jakarta community (whether users, developers, committers, pmc'ers or members)
> can contribute to the discussion and help build a better jakarta.
>
> thanks for speaking up and i'd like to extend an open invitation to any other
> lurkers who've been waiting for a reason to join in...

+1

Hen

Re: jakarta-site2 now live on xslt

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On 3 Jan 2005, at 14:25, John Rasmussen wrote:

> Henri,
>
> I've followed these listings for some time, and as a member of a
> leading xml
> aware networking organization, have wondered if my expertise and
> experience
> could be of value.

expertise and experience are always valued here :)

> I am especially adept at xslt.  Is there a need for contributions in
> this
> arena?

any suggestions for improvements will be eagerly listened to. (perhaps
henri may like to jump in with any specific task's he has in mind...)

Posted by John Rasmussen <jo...@datapower.com>.
Henri,

I've followed these listings for some time, and as a member of a leading xml
aware networking organization, have wondered if my expertise and experience
could be of value.

I am especially adept at xslt.  Is there a need for contributions in this
arena?

Regards,

John Rasmussen
DataPower Technology, Inc.
One Alewife Center
Cambridge, MA 02140, US
Office: US +1 617.864.0455 x359

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 13:52:40 -0500 (EST), Henri Yandell

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Mark Thomas wrote:
> Thanks for the offer of help. I was planning at looking at this
> tomorrow. I was going to look in CVS to see what you changed on
> jakarta-site2 and go from there. If anything doesn't make sense I'll let
> you know.

FYI: The Tomcat site now builds (via ANT and XLST) without the need for
jakarta-site2. There is plenty of scope for streamlining the build but
that is rather lower priority.

Mark

Re: jakarta-site2 now live on xslt

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Henri Yandell wrote:
> Ack, sorry. I didn't think to look in the scripts, just the build.xml.

No problem. I can easily build stuff using the PRE-ANAKIA-REMOVAL tag.

> Let me know if I can do anything to help; I obviously don't intend to go
> breaking things for any of the subprojects.

Thanks for the offer of help. I was planning at looking at this
tomorrow. I was going to look in CVS to see what you changed on
jakarta-site2 and go from there. If anything doesn't make sense I'll let
you know.

BTW, I was going to tackle the rest of the nagoya renaming issues at the
same time.

Mark