Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by jhayden <ja...@hayden1.fsnet.co.uk> on 2007/08/31 12:10:14 UTC

Using own index.html in $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/ROOT directory

After changing port to 80 attempting to use Tomcat as a HTTP server as well
as
a container.
When entering http:\\localhost I am getting the standard Tomcat display.
However its being drawn from the index.jsp rather than the index.html due
the message on the page detailing
"$CATALINA_HOME/webapps/ROOT/index.jsp"

What I have attempted to do is place my own static html files in the
C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 6.0\webapps\ROOT
directory.
Basically expecting my index.html to be displayed. However it only attempts
to display the index.jsp page.

I have tried commenting out the - <welcome-file>index.jsp</welcome-file>
from the web.xml but this does not make any difference.
I want to use the ROOT directory and force the index.html to be used.
All i get is a Error 404 message.
Can anyone help me please?

Re: Using own index.html in $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/ROOT directory

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
jhayden wrote:
>> Is this a clean install?
>>
>> Mark

> Yes. Brand new.
> Without changing anything in ROOT, if I comment out the index.jsp from the
> web.xml file it gives me a 404 Error. As soon as I un-comment the line it
> works fine. Therefore its only interested in using the index.jsp?

For a clean Tomcat 6 install, you can just edit index.html and the
changes will be reflected instantly.

I noticed there is index.jsp and index.html. The jsp probably needs to
be removed from the build.

Mark

Re: Using own index.html in $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/ROOT directory

Posted by jhayden <ja...@hayden1.fsnet.co.uk>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
jhayden wrote:
> I want to use the ROOT directory and force the index.html to be used.
> All i get is a Error 404 message.

Delete the contents of ROOT (jsps, WEB-INF, etc) apart from your
files. You might need to reload the ROOT web application although I am
fairly sure the default configuration will detect the change and
reload the webapp for you.

Note: Tomcat 6 treats any directory in webapps as a web application.

HTH,

Mark

Re: Using own index.html in $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/ROOT directory

Posted by jhayden <ja...@hayden1.fsnet.co.uk>.
I ended up uninstalling tomcat and then reinstalling it.
It works fine now.........Very odd. Thanks for you help.

Posted by Victor Lutin <vl...@bytesw.com>.
Hi,