Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Steven Sagerian <st...@comcast.net> on 2003/10/31 16:26:25 UTC

selecting individual files..

I just installed subversion and it occurs to me that revisioning the
entire file structure doesnt allow me to roll back changes on specific
files? or does it?

How do I decide I want version x of subsystem/directory X and version Y
of subsystem/directory y ?

Thanks,
Steven

Re: selecting individual files..

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
Steven Sagerian wrote:

> I just installed subversion and it occurs to me that revisioning the
> entire file structure doesnt allow me to roll back changes on specific
> files? or does it?
>
> How do I decide I want version x of subsystem/directory X and version Y
> of subsystem/directory y ?

A working copy can consist of files and directories at multiple
different revisions.

You can call 'svn update' on an individual file or directory to update
it to a given revision, regardless of the revision the rest of the tree
is at.

As for rolling back changes, you're probably looking for 'svn merge',
and it works just the same on an individual file or directory as it does
on your whole working copy.

Perhaps if you give us an example of what you're trying to do we could
be of more help, because it's not clear what you're having trouble with
from this email.

-garrett