Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Jon Tirsen <jo...@emm.com> on 2000/11/01 03:00:51 UTC

SV: Microsoft compiler

C# is basically Java with ability to specify meta-properties for most
language-components "inline" (which we into Java usually do with xml-files
put into META-INF or WEB-INF) and a lot of syntactic sugar.
The .NET-framework includes a VM executing MSIL (MicroSoft Intermediate
Language) instead of bytecode. It's based on JIT (the 2nd generation vm's)
and has no adaptive optimization (the 3rd generation vm's).
The way Microsoft is gonna make money out of this is what they call the
Enterprise Servers (including BizTalk Server, Exchange, SQL Server, IIS
etc.) which of course will only run on Windows. So Microsoft is letting go
of the client only to try to steal the server, unfortunately Java is in a
bit of a lead on the server. We'll see what happens.