Posted to dev@mahout.apache.org by Kakarala Rajendra <r....@iitg.ernet.in> on 2012/09/26 11:46:12 UTC

Contributing DBSCAN algorithm for Mahout

Hi,

             As part of Data Mining course in my graduate school, our
project team wants to contribute DBSCAN algorithm using
map-reduce for Mahout.

              In regard to this please provide some inputs regarding

             1. Among several variants of DBSCAN algorithms proposed in
several research papers, we have choosen QIDBSCAN.
                Any idea of other DBSCAN algorithms that might be useful
for the community if implemented.

            2. Information regarding the coding conventions and standards
to be used, inputs regarding how to make the code generic so
that many applications can use.

            Any other suggestions are also welcome.

Thanks and Regards,
Kakarala Rajendra,
M.Tech First Year,
Dept of Computer Science and Engineering,
Indian Institute of Technology,
Guwahati, India

Re: Contributing DBSCAN algorithm for Mahout

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
On Sep 26, 2012, at 5:46 AM, Kakarala Rajendra wrote:

> Hi,
>
>             As part of Data Mining course in my graduate school, our
> project team wants to contribute DBSCAN algorithm using
> map-reduce for Mahout.
>
>              In regard to this please provide some inputs regarding
>
>             1. Among several variants of DBSCAN algorithms proposed in
> several research papers, we have choosen QIDBSCAN.
>                Any idea of other DBSCAN algorithms that might be useful
> for the community if implemented.

Generally speaking, we are trying to focus on solidifying the code we have, but if you put up a well tested implementation, it will likely get committed at some point not too far off as it fits with our clustering libraries.

>            2. Information regarding the coding conventions and standards
> to be used, inputs regarding how to make the code generic so
> that many applications can use.

See the How To Contribute page on the Wiki.

>            Any other suggestions are also welcome.
>

> Thanks and Regards,
> Kakarala Rajendra,
> M.Tech First Year,
> Dept of Computer Science and Engineering,
> Indian Institute of Technology,
> Guwahati, India

Grant Ingersoll
http://www.lucidworks.com