Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by John Beamon <jb...@franklinamerican.com> on 2004/02/17 14:06:42 UTC

per-user, per-app logging in dev environment

I've got John and Bob working on the same project under a cvs tree

$APPS/john/project/
$APPS/bob/project/

I set up Contexts for each of those projects, each with a Logger for
logging to separate per-user directories.

logs/john/project.log
logs/bob/project.log

During Tomcat startup, the construction of each app goes to these two
logs.  Every action performed by these two apps, though, appends to
catalina.out.  All the database calls, all the processing to produce
pages, all the stuff these two developers NEED to see goes into a combined
log.

First, is there something more specific I can do with a standard Logger
statement or some other system-out collector?  Second, is something like
log4j my only recourse, something that will require my developers to go
back and integrate it into their apps?  There must be somebody using this
in a development environment like this.  I'd appreciate some help.

Tomcat-4.1.27, Red Hat Linux 7.3 + up2date, Sun j2sdk-1.4.1.  Thanks much.

--

-j

tomcat_install is not set

Posted by "Altug B. Altintas" <al...@riskturk.com>.
What is the meaning of tomcat_install is not set properly  ??

Regards...

RE: per-user, per-app logging in dev environment

Posted by Mike Curwen <mi...@gb-im.com>.
They're not easy to search, in that they aren't a windows help file. Nor
are they all in one HTML document, like say the MySql docs.

But on the plus side, they're fairly well organized, and complete.

If I'm trying to find something, and don't have much success, I use
google.

example: type this string (minus quotes) into google:
Posted by John Beamon <jb...@franklinamerican.com>.

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.

Posted by John Beamon <jb...@franklinamerican.com>.

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.