Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <or...@apache.org> on 2013/04/29 19:31:14 UTC

RE: Proposal: Improve security by limiting committer access in SVN -- KEYS Compromise Exposure

Today, I did some digging around with respect to a different project and I noticed a vulnerability that had not been discussed:

 1. Assume that the credentials of an Apache OpenOffice Committer are compromised (or the committer goes rogue).
 2. This allows the compromised/rogue credentials to be used to change the forwarding e-mail address and add/replace the PGP public key fingerprint of the committer.
 3. A rogue public key will then end up in <https://people.apache.org/keys/group/openoffice.asc>.  This is the file that users are instructed to import keys from in order to check signatures on AOO releases and binary distributions.  See <http://www.openoffice.org/download/checksums/3.4.1_checksums.html#howto>.
 4. Note that all Apache OpenOffice committers who have provided PGP fingerprints will have their public key show up in that file.  Not just release managers, *all* AOO committers who have provided PGP fingerprints.
 5. This is sufficient to poison a download mirror site with a counterfeit download so long as the ASC, SHA1, and MD5 locations can also be spoofed without the user noticing.

I don't think this is a high risk vulnerability.  There are too many easier ways to distribute counterfeit binaries.  The use of OS-verified code signing (for Windows and Apple builds, at least) will mitigate all of them to the extent that users come to rely on and be vigilant about signed installs.

 - Dennis

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 5:59 AM, Daniel Shahaf <da...@apache.org> wrote:

> (note CC list)
>
> Dennis E. Hamilton wrote on Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 18:56:01 -0700:
> > @Daniel,
> >
> > Right, this is about poisoning the committer keys but not touching the
> > SVN, instead, counterfeiting a binary release downstream, but faking
> > the asc, md5, and sha1 too.  (These would not be at dist, and depend
>
> ASF mirrors do not contain .asc, .md5, .sha1 files.  We should probably
> verify that in our regular checks, if we don't do so already.
>
> Assuming "real mirrors have no .md5/.asc files" holds, assuming a user
> downloads a rogue .md5 means either the user is using a rogue download
> page or there's a rogue .md5 in https://www.apache.org/dist/openoffice/
> --- these are both acceptable risks (the latter because it will have
> generated a commit mail which the PMC is supposed to catch).
>
> > on folks not noticing because the instructions for how to check
> > correctly are so obscure.  It is very far-fetched, since there are
> > easier exploits that rely on user's not being equipped to verify what
> > they are getting and not relying on the authentic download location.
> >

> > Another way would be to attack the release candidate in the release
> > manager's ASF FreeBSD account, although someone who checks the
> > signature might notice that it is by an unexpected committer.  Again,
> > reasonably far-fetched.  Two committers would have to be compromised,
> > or the Release Manager would have to be compromised and not notice
> > that there is a new fingerprint in the RM's profile.  I like that last
> > one.  It has a certain movie-plot plausibility.  Who ever looks for
> > funny business in their profile, or odd materials in their keys entry?
>
> Everyone.  The PMC is REQUIRED to verify the .asc files in a release
> before voting on it.  That means verifying it's signed by the correct
> key, too.
>
> Daniel

 Thanks Daniel -- copying private@openoffice on this reply so the PMC makes
note of this.

> > (Note that it is the binaries that are compromised, there is no
> > messing with the source tarballs.)
> >
> >  - Dennis

MzK

"There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain."
                        -- Captain Roy Montgomery, "Castle"

Re: Proposal: Improve security by limiting committer access in SVN -- KEYS Compromise Exposure

Posted by 'Daniel Shahaf' <da...@apache.org>.
(note CC list)

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Apr 29, 2013, at 6:56 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:

> @Daniel,
>
> Right, this is about poisoning the committer keys but not touching the SVN, instead, counterfeiting a binary release downstream, but faking the asc, md5, and sha1 too.  (These would not be at dist, and depend on folks not noticing because the instructions for how to check correctly are so obscure.  It is very far-fetched, since there are easier exploits that rely on user's not being equipped to verify what they are getting and not relying on the authentic download location.
>
> Another way would be to attack the release candidate in the release manager's ASF FreeBSD account, although someone who checks the signature might notice that it is by an unexpected committer.  Again, reasonably far-fetched.  Two committers would have to be compromised, or the Release Manager would have to be compromised and not notice that there is a new fingerprint in the RM's profile.  I like that last one.  It has a certain movie-plot plausibility.  Who ever looks for funny business in their profile, or odd materials in their keys entry?  (Note that it is the binaries that are compromised, there is no messing with the source tarballs.)

When I vote on a release I am looking at the fingerprint. This is where looking for a fingerprint that is on the "Web of Trust" is important.

http://people.apache.org/~henkp/trust/

I like Henk's opinion here:

> what can I trust, ultimately ?
>
> The short answer is nothing.
> For the ultra sceptics there is no hope.
>
> 	• you can't trust the things you did yesterday, because you can't trust your memory
> 	• you can't trust software you didn't write or hardware you didn't build
> 	• you can't overlook the possibility that apache.org is a fake, set up especialy to lure you into using bad software

Regards,
Dave

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <or...@apache.org>.
@Daniel,