Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Norman Maurer <nm...@spam-box.de> on 2006/01/25 11:36:51 UTC

Whitelist SenderIs Matcher

Hi,

we wont to use a matcher which query a mysql server to get a whitelist
from a Server for the recip. So every recip can store its whitelist in
the mysqlserver..

anyone has wrote such a matcher ? Or canpint me in the right direction
to use the sql in a matcher ?

bye

Re: Whitelist SenderIs Matcher

Posted by Ahmed Mohombe <am...@yahoo.com>.
> If unsuccessfull again, please can someone in Apache help?
Maybe Apache should adopt JAMES? :).
Btw. does anyone know why didn't this happened till this moment?

Thanks in advance,

Ahmed.

Re: Whitelist SenderIs Matcher

Posted by Vincenzo Gianferrari Pini <vi...@praxis.it>.
For some reason the attachment didn't go through. I'll retry again.

If unsuccessfull again, please can someone in Apache help?

Vincenzo

Posted by Vincenzo Gianferrari Pini <vi...@praxis.it>.
Norman,

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Norman Maurer wrote:
> we wont to use a matcher which query a mysql server to get a whitelist
> from a Server for the recip. So every recip can store its whitelist in
> the mysqlserver..
>
> anyone has wrote such a matcher ? Or canpint me in the right direction
> to use the sql in a matcher ?

There is no such matcher: you can look at the JDBCVirtualUserTable.java
mailet as an example about how to interact with JDBC tables. Keep in
mind that JDBCVirtualUserTable is a mailet and not a matcher.

Stefano

Re: Whitelist SenderIs Matcher

Posted by Vincenzo Gianferrari Pini <vi...@praxis.it>.
I use my whitelist and bayesian matchers/mailets in the following way:

1) I have the WhiteListManager process every mail, in order to
automatically collect the fact that, if I send a mail to someone, he
should be in my personal whitelist because is a legitimate mail
correspondent of mine. Moreover the mailet manages explicit inserts and
deletes of addresses in my personal whitelist.
2) The BayesianAnalysis mailet determines the "spammity" probability of
the email.
3) If such probability is higher than or equal to 99%, *and the sender
is not in the whitelist* (and oviously is not SmtpAuthenticated), I have
a special "spam treatment" done to the email: for certain users (like
myself) the email is ghosted after being stored in a "spam" folder just
in case.

So the whitelist is used to very effectively reduce the risk of spam
*false positives* coming from other methods.

If a spammer spoofs the sender address he must be *very* precise to get
through (he must know my personal email correspondents), and this would
just become a *rare* "false negative": who cares?

So I think that the whitelist techniques are useful :-)

Vincenzo