Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Kurt Young <yk...@gmail.com> on 2020/02/07 03:40:39 UTC

[DISCUSS] Does removing deprecated interfaces needs another FLIP

Hi dev,

Currently I want to remove some already deprecated methods from
TableEnvironment which annotated with @PublicEnvolving. And I also created
a discussion thread [1] to both dev and user mailing lists to gather
feedback on that. But I didn't find any matching rule in Flink bylaw [2] to
follow. Since this is definitely a API breaking change, but we already
voted for that back in the FLIP which deprecated these methods.

I'm not sure about how to proceed for now. Looks like I have 2 choices:

1. If no one raise any objections in discuss thread in like 72 hours, I
will create a jira to start working on it.
2. Since this is a API breaking change, I need to open another FLIP to tell
that I want to remove these deprecated methods. This seems a little
redundant with the first FLIP which deprecate the methods.

What do you think?

Best,
Kurt

[1]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r98af66feb531ce9e6b94914e44391609cad857e16ea84db5357c1980%40%3Cdev.flink.apache.org%3E
[2] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLINK/Flink+Bylaws

Re: [DISCUSS] Does removing deprecated interfaces needs another FLIP

Posted by Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org>.
I would also agree with the above.

Changing a stable API and deprecating stable methods would need a FLIP in
my opinion. But then executing the removal of previously deprecated methods
would be fine in my understanding.

Posted by Kurt Young <yk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Timo Walther <tw...@apache.org>.
Hi Kurt,