Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Alexander Bezzubov <bz...@apache.org> on 2016/04/01 04:02:08 UTC

Re: Advice on a legal aspect of code contribution

Thank you very much for the kind guidance and the detailed explanation.

It helps and makes perfect sense for me.

One thing though, on 1 - it looks like I have unintentionally confuse
people with the word "complex code contribution", which I referred to the
structure of the patch received, rather than the code.

It was created and sent as a patch by an individual contributor who owns
the IP on 1 (not a committer) and I was under impression that it should be
treated as a regular patch (includes few new files) as we did with similar
contributions before, rather than a full code donation (as it's not really
an external or substantial code base) which should require an IP
clearance/SGA.

Does this make sense?

Thank you again.

--
Alex

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Fri, Apr 1, 2016 at 4:02 AM, Alexander Bezzubov <bz...@apache.org> wrote:
> ...It was created and sent as a patch by an individual contributor who owns
> the IP on 1 (not a committer) and I was under impression that it should be
> treated as a regular patch (includes few new files) as we did with similar
> contributions before, rather than a full code donation...

Yes that makes sense if it's "just" a patch.

I think the best is to create tickets for the others parts that enable
this patch, and have those tickets managed by the PMC as things on
which the incoming patch depends.

-Bertrand