Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com> on 2012/08/20 22:48:37 UTC

A simple way to resolve GBM nowadays

Another proposal the get GBM on board using github. This proposal is due to
the fact that official apache git repo is unusable due to no one (even PPMC
members) to write on it:

1.- In github, PPMC members can create and organization (ej:
apacheflex_ppmc)
2.- All ppmc ad apache flex should enter that organization
3.- Some designated ppmc should create a fork that will be the official
ppmc apache flex mirror and publish to github.
4.- All ppmc will be able to read/write this repo and will have this repo
synced with official svn repo to be able to pass work his work and/or
contributors work from git to svn.
5.- Contributors will fork this new repo instead the actual apache flex
mirror and make the contributions via pull request (like the one I did some
days ago)
6.- ppmc will bring pull request for review, if all goes ok integrate to
svn, and update github.

(as a side note in order to create a pull request the workflow will be to
create a branch first like the one I did for locale changes. This allows
contributors to maintain "develop" intact and remove the branch create as
soon it's accepted and integrated.

what do you think?

--
Carlos Rovira
Director de Tecnología

Re: A simple way to resolve GBM nowadays

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 12:18 AM, Justin Mclean
<ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:
> Carlos wrote:
>> Another proposal the get GBM on board using github.
> Being an Apache project I'm fairly sure we need to host our source code with Apache...

Of course.

> That's not to say we can't use Github but I don't think it can be the central repository.

See s.apache.org/flex_git_options, INFRA-4366, INFRA-5171

-Bertrand

Re: A simple way to resolve GBM nowadays

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Another proposal the get GBM on board using github.
Being an Apache project I'm fairly sure we need to host our source code with Apache. That's not to say we can't use Github but I don't think it can be the central repository.

Justin

BTW my github account (if anyone is interested) is here https://github.com/justinmclean

Re: A simple way to resolve GBM nowadays

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,
> AFAIK There will still be a delay until someone writes a good
> post-receive-hook script that runs on the
> git-wip-us.apache.org/incubating-flex-* repository to update GitHub as
> soon a changes are received.

Which is probably why it would be a bad idea to  use the SVN/Git combined repo brought up a few times.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: A simple way to resolve GBM nowadays

Posted by Jeff Conrad <je...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 4:48 PM, Carlos Rovira
<ca...@codeoscopic.com> wrote:
> Another proposal the get GBM on board using github. This proposal is due to
> the fact that official apache git repo is unusable due to no one (even PPMC
> members) to write on it:

I just saw your answer in the previous thread, but I'll put this
response here for clarity.

Right now, not only is the current git repo on apache a read-only
mirror, but when we rearranged the svn, it threw the git mirror for a
loop and it hasn't been updating since.

We have to put the request in to Infra to switch to Git as the
default, at which point git-wip-us.apache.org/incubating-flex-* will
be writable and mirrored on GitHub.

AFAIK There will still be a delay until someone writes a good
post-receive-hook script that runs on the
git-wip-us.apache.org/incubating-flex-* repository to update GitHub as
soon a changes are received.

Jeff