Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Donald Harbison <dp...@gmail.com> on 2011/12/01 16:56:34 UTC

Trademark Clearance: Apache OpenOffice

The PPMC has approved the trademark and brand for the project and product
as 'Apache OpenOffice'[1].

We request confirmation that the ASF has registered the trademark in the
US.

What is the ASF guidelines for using 'Apache OpenOffice' worldwide?

[1]http://s.apache.org/O3P

Re: Trademark Clearance: Apache OpenOffice

Posted by Ian Lynch <ia...@gmail.com>.
On 1 December 2011 21:39, Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:

> On 2011-12-01 10:56 AM, Donald Harbison wrote:
>
>> The PPMC has approved the trademark and brand for the project and
>> product as 'Apache OpenOffice'[1].
>>
>> We request confirmation that the ASF has registered the trademark in the
>> US.
>>

> Trademark for what, specifically?  You don't have an available software
> product yet.  ;-)
>
> Trademarks - at least in the US - only have being as an identifier tying a
> specific product to a specific organization that produces that product, so
> as to prevent consumer confusion over the source of the actual goods
> (typically for us, the actual software product downloads).

Is there not a danger then of some other organisations saying we have a
company called Apache Tribesmen and we have an Open Office in London so we
are trademarking Apache OpenOffice?

--
Ian

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940

Wales.

Re: Trademark Clearance: Apache OpenOffice

Posted by Donald Harbison <dp...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 4:39 PM, Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:

> On 2011-12-01 10:56 AM, Donald Harbison wrote:
>
>> The PPMC has approved the trademark and brand for the project and
>> product as 'Apache OpenOffice'[1].
>>
>> We request confirmation that the ASF has registered the trademark in the
>> US.
>>

> Trademark for what, specifically?  You don't have an available software
> product yet.  ;-)
>
> We are aiming for an Apache OpenOffice 3.4 release in early 2012. We'll
plan on using the mark in this product during its preparation.

> Trademarks - at least in the US - only have being as an identifier tying a
> specific product to a specific organization that produces that product, so
> as to prevent consumer confusion over the source of the actual goods
> (typically for us, the actual software product downloads).
>
> Normally we would not process trademark registrations - which take
> resources and funding - for podlings.  But this may be a special case, so
> once the AOO PPMC has a publicly downloadable release of a useable software
> product called "Apache OpenOffice", we can discuss if we are willing to
> start the registration process for the podling, or if we wait (as we
> usually would) for you to graduate to TLP.

This looks to be a special case given how the equity of 'OpenOffice' as
developed by use of the former trademark, 'OpenOffice.org' remains quite
high. We now have the challenge to transfer this equity and merge it with
the value of the Apache brand. With the stakes high here, it seems in order
to justify processing the trademark registrations, despite our podling
status. (IMHO).

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.