Posted to community@apache.org by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org> on 2004/08/25 17:22:21 UTC

Re: proposed ammendment to mirroring policy

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004, Daniel F. Savarese wrote:

>   Disclaimer:  The presence of a mirror on this list does not
>   constitute an endorsement by the Apache Software Foundation
>   of the organization's business or other activities.  The
>   Apache Software Foundation lists all mirror sites that
>   request to be listed and meet the criteria specified at:
>   http://www.apache.org/info/how-to-mirror.html

+1

Dw.

Re: proposed ammendment to mirroring policy

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>.
Joshua Slive wrote:

> Having said that, I do believe that providing as much information
> possible to our downloaders is a good thing.  But lets make it less
> legalistic and more informative, like:
>
> "Apache mirrors are independently operated according to the guidelines
> specified on our <a href=...>how to mirror</a> page.  Since the Apache
> Software Foundation cannot verify the contents of every mirror, it is
> important that you check the pgp or md5 signature after your download."

Less legalese: +1.
Not needing to add anything at all: even better.

Vadim

Re: proposed ammendment to mirroring policy

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Wed, 25 Aug 2004, Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Aug 2004, Daniel F. Savarese wrote:
>
>>   Disclaimer:  The presence of a mirror on this list does not
>>   constitute an endorsement by the Apache Software Foundation
>>   of the organization's business or other activities.  The
>>   Apache Software Foundation lists all mirror sites that
>>   request to be listed and meet the criteria specified at:
>>   http://www.apache.org/info/how-to-mirror.html
>
> +1

Some issues:

1. Are we going to put a disclaimer on all external links from apache.org
sites?  I *hate* sites that do that sort of thing.  Web users understand
that links, be they informational or advertising, don't constitute
endorsements.

2. There is a major operational issue here.  Getting all the projects to
make changes to their download pages is a very difficult proposition.  Who
is going to work on tracking down each one to get the change made?

Having said that, I do believe that providing as much information possible
to our downloaders is a good thing.  But lets make it less legalistic and
more informative, like:

"Apache mirrors are independently operated according to the guidelines
specified on our <a href=...>how to mirror</a> page.  Since the Apache
Software Foundation cannot verify the contents of every mirror, it is
important that you check the pgp or md5 signature after your download."

Joshua.