Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Mark Kerzner <ma...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/16 00:08:12 UTC

Temporary files for mapppers and reducers

Hi,

what would be the best place to put temporary files for a reducer? I believe
that since reducers each work on its own machine, at its own time, one can
do anything, but I would like a confirmation from the experts.

Thanks,
Mark

Re: Temporary files for mapppers and reducers

Posted by Owen O'Malley <ow...@gmail.com>.
Just use the current working directory. Each task gets a unique
directory that is erased when the task finished.

-- Owen

Posted by jason hadoop <ja...@gmail.com>.
If you use the Java System Property java.io.tmpdir, your reducer will use
the ./tmp directory in the local working directory allocated by the
framework for your task.

If you have a specialty file system for transient data, such as a tmpfs, use
that.

http://www.apress.com/book/view/9781430219422