Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by "Girvin R. Herr" <gi...@sbcglobal.net> on 2012/03/18 01:51:24 UTC

section problem

Greetings,
I am using OO.o 3.3.0 [OOO330m20 (Build:9567)] under Linux.  I have an
85 page (so far) Writer document I am writing that includes a 4-page
table which I am trying to place into 2 columns in an area of the
document.  I only want the table in a 2-column format, not the text
before and after the table.  I inserted a 2-column "section" before the
table, selected the table, cut and pasted it into the new section and
that's when strange things happened.  The table starts out fine for the
first 1.5 pages then, instead of continuing into the 2nd column on that
page, there are 4 "blank" but unselectable phantom pages inserted before
the remaining part of the table continues in column 1 again.  These
"blank" pages cannot be typed into nor do they have the section's column
separator lines down the center.  And yes, they do print as blank
pages.  Putting the cursor at the end of the last cell of the table's
first part, using the cursor keys to step to the next cell, jumps over
the "blank" pages to the beginning of the first cell of the 2nd part of
the table.  This "feature" effectively turned my 4-page table into a
7-page table!  That is *not* the direction I wanted to go in to save paper!

I tried this same procedure in a new document by copy-pasting the
1-column table into the new document and following the same procedure to
create the 2-column table section.  Same result.  So it isn't something
else in the large, almost 10MB document.  This is either a bug or
something I am doing wrong.  I followed the procedure in the OpenOffice
Writer Guide, Chapter 4 - Formatting Pages; Using Sections for Page Layout.

Does anybody know what is going on here?
Is this a bug?
Is it a known bug?
Is there a work-around for this?
Thanks in advance.
Girvin Herr

RE: [Solution] section problem

Posted by Maurice Howe <ma...@stny.rr.com>.
Thank you, Girvin, Thank You.  I have 2 somewhat complicated multi-column
documents with many lists & tables.  I was ready to write a post about a
very similar experience but I'll try your solution first.  I think you're
really on to something here!   Thanks again.

Maurice D. Howe
General MacArthur Honor Guard Assn
616 Lacey Drive
Endwell, NY 13760
607-754-0469
Maurice@stny.rr.com

Posted by "Girvin R. Herr" <gi...@sbcglobal.net>.
Back in March, I posted the following problem and received many
work for me.  Now, I am posting this solution I discovered in case
someone else in the group could use it.  The solution seems to be that
when I inserted my table into the new 2-column section, OO re-sized the
table to fit the column width.  That is fine, but It appears that
sections do not like this maximum size.  When I adjusted the table right
margin to a bit less than the section column width, the appearance
changed to what I expected and there were no blank pages inserted.
Hope this may help someone.
Girvin Herr

    Greetings,
    I am using OO.o 3.3.0 [OOO330m20 (Build:9567)] under Linux. Â I have an 85
    page (so far) Writer document I am writing that includes a 4-page table
    which I am trying to place into 2 columns in an area of the document. Â I

Re: section problem

Posted by Hagar Delest <ha...@laposte.net>.
You can register the forum and add your topic, attach the file (use something like mediafire.com if bigger than 128kB), perhaps someone will have an idea.
You can also add your votes to the bug report (up to 2 votes per issue).

Hagar

Re: section problem

Posted by "Girvin R. Herr" <gi...@sbcglobal.net>.
Hagar,