Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Tim Heckman <ti...@pagerduty.com> on 2016/01/12 23:31:55 UTC

Cassandra 1.2.19 and Java 8

Hello,

We still have an installation of Cassandra on the 1.2.19 release,
running on Java 7. We do plan on upgrading to a newer version, but in
the mean time there has been some questions internally about running
1.2 on Java 8 until the upgrade can be fully completed.

I seem to remember speaking to someone awhile back that advised
against running the 1.2 + Java 8 combination. Unfortunately, I can't
remember what the exact reasoning was behind the recommendation. It
could have just been that no one was really doing it, therefore it
wasn't fully tested.

Does anyone here have experience with Cassandra 1.2 and Java 8 in
production. Any known issues or gotchas?

Cheers!
-Tim

--
Tim Heckman
Operations Engineer

Re: Cassandra 1.2.19 and Java 8

Posted by Michael Shuler <mi...@pbandjelly.org>.
On 01/12/2016 04:41 PM, Robert Coli wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 2:31 PM, Tim Heckman <tim@pagerduty.com
> <ma...@pagerduty.com>> wrote:
>
>     We still have an installation of Cassandra on the 1.2.19 release,
>     running on Java 7. We do plan on upgrading to a newer version, but in
>     the mean time there has been some questions internally about running
>     1.2 on Java 8 until the upgrade can be fully completed.

cassandra-1.2 fails to *build* properly for me on java8 in
gen-cli-grammar with an antlr NPE, so we build on java6 or 7.

> I upgraded to 1.8 to avoid potential leap year problems, so in June of 2015.
>
> java version "1.8.0_60"
> Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.60-b23, mixed mode)
> ii  cassandra                           1.2.16
>    distributed storage system for structured data
>
> Works fine since, no discernible difference.

A quick build of cassandra-1.2 HEAD (1.2.19 tag) on java7, starting it
up with java8 runtime, and the basics all seem to work just fine for me.

--
Kind regards,
Michael

Re: Cassandra 1.2.19 and Java 8

Posted by Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>.
On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 2:31 PM, Tim Heckman <ti...@pagerduty.com> wrote:

> We still have an installation of Cassandra on the 1.2.19 release,
> running on Java 7. We do plan on upgrading to a newer version, but in
> the mean time there has been some questions internally about running
> 1.2 on Java 8 until the upgrade can be fully completed.

I upgraded to 1.8 to avoid potential leap year problems, so in June of 2015.

java version "1.8.0_60"
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.60-b23, mixed mode)
ii  cassandra                           1.2.16
 distributed storage system for structured data

Works fine since, no discernible difference.

=Rob