Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Andy Heninger <an...@jtcsv.com> on 2000/07/10 23:46:07 UTC

Performance Tweaks

Good news -

Joe Polastre did some profiling work, I did some code tweaking, and
Xerces-C is now twice as fast as it was.

The changes were mostly to XMLScanner::scanCharData()

The speed measurements were made of a non-validating sax parse (usin the
saxCount sample program) of James Clark's ot.xml file, run on Windows.
Disclaimer:  the percentage speedup will be less with validating parses,
or parses of documents containing large numbers of XML attributes or a
higher ratio of markup to document content.  Your mileage may vary.

The changes are in CVS (they went in on Friday afternoon)

Andy Heninger
IBM XML Technology Group, Cupertino, CA
heninger@us.ibm.com

Re: new version

Posted by Arundhati Bhowmick <ar...@hyperreal.org>.
We are planning to have a new release by the end of this month. In fact its
dependant on the icu 1.6 release which is due sometime this month. As soon as
that's out our plans are to deliver both xerces and xml4c stable releases.
Till then, I guess, one has to depend on either nightly builds or cvs.

Arundhati

Jim Reitz wrote:

> I know that there have been quite a few bug fixes, and some significant
> performance improvements since 1.20a.  Will there be a 1.20b that reflects
> these changes/fixes without offering any new instabilities?
>
> Jim Reitz
> jereitz@home.com

Arundhati Bhowmick
IBM -- XML Technology Group (Silicon Valley)

new version