Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org> on 1997/06/21 20:33:33 UTC

dirk's faq additions

I'm merging them in right now.  But I actually think it'd be a good idea
of we started a set of architecture specific notes.  We already have the
performance hints... but there are probably enough freebsd, linux, and
solaris tips (at least) for things related to running apache that we could
develop a set of pages for each.  Something like:

FreeBSD:
- the notes from the performance page
- how to increase FD_SETSIZE

Linux:
- the notes from Aram's perf page
- pointers to patches to increase FD_SETSIZE

Solaris:
- a note saying run 2.5.1 + latest tcp/ip rollup
- ndd command to bump up backlog
- workarounds for 256 FILE * limit

I'll do the linux one.  I could do an IRIX one too unless someone else
wants to snag it, I am a few months rusty on irix.

We could put them in htdocs/manual/misc/arch-archname.html or create
htdocs/manual/arch/archname/ ... I kinda prefer the latter in case we want
to start including patches and such in our doc tree.

Dean

Re: dirk's faq additions

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.
On Sat, 21 Jun 1997, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> I'm merging them in right now.  But I actually think it'd be a good idea
> of we started a set of architecture specific notes.  We already have the
> performance hints... but there are probably enough freebsd, linux, and
> solaris tips (at least) for things related to running apache that we could
> develop a set of pages for each.  Something like:

Yes.  I have been meaning to do the same thing for a long time.  I would
prefer to keep most of the architecture specific stuff out of the FAQ
unless it is really frequently asked.  One example of something that
should stay would be the linux iovec thing.  One example of something that
could move would be... erm... no good examples there yet.  Then a link
from the FAQ to the os-specific pages could be added.

> FreeBSD:
> - the notes from the performance page
> - how to increase FD_SETSIZE

I would go for a *BSD* page that goes through the issues in general, then
has a list of which things apply to which BSD.  That way for BSDs that
aren't explicitly mentioned people can still get something out of it.

I can try to get to BSD...

> Linux:
> - the notes from Aram's perf page
> - pointers to patches to increase FD_SETSIZE
>
> Solaris:
> - a note saying run 2.5.1 + latest tcp/ip rollup
> - ndd command to bump up backlog
> - workarounds for 256 FILE * limit
>
> I'll do the linux one.  I could do an IRIX one too unless someone else
> wants to snag it, I am a few months rusty on irix.
>
> We could put them in htdocs/manual/misc/arch-archname.html or create
> htdocs/manual/arch/archname/ ... I kinda prefer the latter in case we want
> to start including patches and such in our doc tree.

I could go for either just an arch directory (or misc/arch/, but I'm not
sure that is necessary) or an arch/archname.  If we don't have a seperate
directory for each patch, it is just a matter of including the archname in
the patch name.

In any case, I would prefer at least one seperate directory for arch
stuff.

We could probably then remove the os-specific performance pages after
merging them into the new ones, leaving a pointer of course.

This would be worth it for the "apache doesn't work with more than x
virtual hosts" PRs alone...

BTW, www.microsoft.com is still broken.  Hehehe.  They fixed the record
with the bad TTL for www.microsoft.com after I whacked them on the head
with a clue, but they forgot the little detail of updating the serial
number, so their secondaries (erm... whatever they are; the NIC lists
some, they list others, and some of both aren't really secondaries)
aren't updated.

Re: dirk's faq additions

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.
On Sat, 21 Jun 1997, Marc Slemko wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Jun 1997, Dean Gaudet wrote:
>
> > I'm merging them in right now.  But I actually think it'd be a good idea
>
> Oh, and I hope to have some better workaround for the FreeBSD thing
> (either a patch for FreeBSD to make stuff less stupid) or a hack
> for Apache (have one running here that opens a dozen or two files before
> opening the log files and closes them after; an ugly hack, but it
> makes things work in a lot of cases) to make it work.

I'm working on generalising my solaris 256 FILE * thing which uses F_DUPFD
to achieve this.  But I'm going to need to add a function or two to the
api and so it may not be a 1.2.1 thing.  I'm going to roll it in with a
performance improvement -- use poll() and/or ioctl(TIOCINQ) (or FIONREAD)
when doing saferead since it only needs to test one descriptor.

Dean

Re: dirk's faq additions

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.