Posted to dev@velocity.apache.org by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net> on 2000/12/07 00:37:12 UTC

Re: Local macros [was: RE: quick note on recent changes] [production testing discussion :-) ]

Jose Alberto Fernandez wrote:

> > From: Daniel Rall [mailto:dlr@finemaltcoding.com]
> >
> > WOW!  Do fill us in on how you successfully skip development
> > and testing...
> >

> As Gier notice with the sentence I had just after this one. The issue
> is not on testing individual applications. Which I presume will happen and
> everything will be fine. The problem will occur when you install
> this application on the same environment as others (that have also been
> tested by themselves). Because of the global macros, not the two apps
> may interact in unforseable manners and the problems show up.

While general production practice is probably off topic :) and I have
said I agree that there is an issue here, I will note that in my
experience, 'production testing' always involved the full system, not
just application components.

> Two different organizations within an enterprise may have bought or develop
> their own thing, and not until they are both installed in the common
> production server, that we will discover these problems.

And we would bring all the apps / components together onto one machine
and test for the exact same reasons.

> The point is that we need to be able to provide some compositional
> guarantees. And the first tenant of that is component isolation.
> Component should only interact thru well defined APIs.

Yes.  I will argue that the API for VMs is well-defined.  You don't
necessarily are with the API though, and I think there are valid points
there.

geir