Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Pierpaolo Fumagalli <pi...@apache.org> on 2000/03/04 03:11:35 UTC

Xalan 2.0: the plan

This is the "supposed to be" long E-Mail, but since everyone seem to
have reached a good consensus on what to do, I just wanted to draft a
little plan.

Next week there will be ApacheCON, and we'll be able to meet all
together face-to-face to discuss the future of our XSLT engine. So, what
I would like to ask to all of you, not only Scott, Robert, Keith,
Stefano and me, but everyone who is willing to participate in the design
of the internal Xalan 2.0 architecture, to join us there, and to start a
longer discussion on how each of us, with every individual experience,
envisions an XSLT processor, and would like to see it architected.

I believe that, at least in these first steps, some high level bandwidth
communication must be estabilished, and that's the right occasion to do
it.

What I wanted to add (expecially for Keith and Scott) is that, if we're
able to construct an architecture that is understood by everyone, it'll
be easier for all of us to contribute back to the implementation itself,
and we could even "recycle" the code from XALAN 1 and/or XSLP, if that
can be fitted in the new implementation (personally, I have some
DOM-like classes I would love to contribute, if it fits).

So, see you there, now it's up to you to set a date/time :)

	Pier

<ma...@betaversion.org>    <http://www.betaversion.org/~pier/>