Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Adrian Cole <ad...@gmail.com> on 2019/06/06 00:31:38 UTC

There's a missing state in the state diagram for the incubator

Hi, all

I just noticed that all states in the diagram are under the assumption
that the only way a project stops is by the IPMC making a decision for
the project, saying they have no community etc.

https://incubator.apache.org/policy/process.html#termination_or_retirement

A route not listed is the PPMC choosing to stop on their own. It would
be helpful to know that a podling can voluntarily return to their
prior state, and know up front what impact that would imply.

I expect not everything needs to be on the website, but hypothetically
speaking, what would be the impact to the people who decided to stop
incubating.. if for example the community is entirely the same as they
started?

Best,
-Adrian

Re: There's a missing state in the state diagram for the incubator

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
This has happened before. We just say "thanks, and good luck". Most recent
was odftoolkit, I believe. They moved to The Document Foundation. We
transferred a related domain over TDF, for that community to use.

Note that we've also stated that if a trademark is transferred to us
*during* incubation, then we'll return it to the prior owner if the podling
retires for any reason. In some cases, we have allowed podlings to graduate
to TLP status with the understanding a trademark transfer will occur in the
future (ie. trademark ownership is not a blocker).

At least one TLP (iBatis) moved their community out of Apache. We kept the
trademark, so they are myBatis or somesuch. It is difficult for a 501(c)3
to transfer property, so we remain hesitant around trademarks.

Cheers,
-g

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Given the code is under ALv2 anyone can that fork the code and go elsewhere at anytime. Whoever does that  would need to respect the name however and wouldn’t  be allowed to call it the same name of the Apache project.

For a podling to formally leave they would need to do ask the IPMC to vote, it would need agreement of it's PPMC to do so. The only issue is around trademarks and name of the project.

We had a project do this recently, ODF ToolKit, [1] after spending 7 years in the incubator.  In this case it failed to build community around it and found another place to continue to do the work, there was some discussion and they were allowed to keep the name and domain names transferred to the ASF. There may be a bit of house keeping to do after that. [2]

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/c386b985379c8b6b54d791c8eaa62e429987ffb651ffc753d6a69e43@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E
2. https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/c59859ab7cf0bc1cf14faffcf6d4f83b6f58a491dd5f055768728903@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E