Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Gareth Baxendale <ga...@nihr.ac.uk> on 2019/02/13 12:17:30 UTC

SOLR and AWS comprehend

This is perhaps more or an architecture question than dev code but
appreciate collective thoughts!

We are using Solr to order records and to categorise them to allow users to
search and find specific medical conditions. We have an opportunity to make
use of Machine Learning to aid and improve the results. AWS Comprehend is
the product we are looking at but there is a question over whether one
should replace the other as they would compete or if in fact both should
work together to provide the solution we are after.

Appreciate any insights people have.

Thanks Gareth

--
Confidential information may be contained in this message.If you are not
the intended recipient, any reading, printing, storage, disclosure, copying

Re: SOLR and AWS comprehend

Posted by Jörn Franke <jo...@gmail.com>.
I guess you have to find out which product fits better your needs. The use case can be somehow reflected in both solutions, but the description about the use case is very generic so difficult to say.

Re: SOLR and AWS comprehend

Posted by Charlie Hull <ch...@flax.co.uk>.
On 13/02/2019 12:17, Gareth Baxendale wrote:
> This is perhaps more or an architecture question than dev code but
> appreciate collective thoughts!
>
> We are using Solr to order records and to categorise them to allow users to
> search and find specific medical conditions. We have an opportunity to make
> use of Machine Learning to aid and improve the results. AWS Comprehend is
> the product we are looking at but there is a question over whether one
> should replace the other as they would compete or if in fact both should
> work together to provide the solution we are after.

One is an open source search engine and one is a closed source hosted
NLP service you pay for. I think you're comparing chalk and cheese here:
you would use a NLP service to enhance the source data before indexing
with something like Solr, or extract information from a query before
searching. Although Solr does contain some classification features it
doesn't contain any NLP features - although as my colleague Liz writes
you can now easily integrate Solr & OpenNLP, another open source
toolkit.
https://opensourceconnections.com/blog/2018/08/06/intro_solr_nlp_integrations/

By the way are you aware that NHS Wales are using Solr to power their
patient records service?

Best

Charlie

--