Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Pat Quinn <pa...@hotmail.com> on 2003/07/18 17:41:33 UTC

[OT] Precompiling JSP with JSTL tag Libs

Sorry guys this is not a struts question but i'm hoping someone on here has
had this problem before.... ive got an ANT task to precompile my jsp's
everything worked fine until i decided to upgrade to use JSTL tag libs not i
get the following error,

[echo] Precompiling JSPS
2003-07-18 04:27:26 - Internal Error: File /WEB-INF/web.xml not found
2003-07-18 04:27:29 - ERROR-the file '\jsp\myjsp.jsp'
generated the following general exception: org.apache.jasper.JasperException

: XML parsing error on file /WEB-INF/tld/c.tld: (line 307, col 39):
The string "--" is not permitted within comments.
[jasper] Error in class org.apache.jasper.JspC

MyJsp.jsp is the only jsp which is currently using the c.tld.

My ANT Task is as follows:

    <target name="jsp"  depends="webinf">
        <taskdef name="jasper"
                 classname="org.apache.jasper.JspC"
                 classpath="${class.path}"/>

        <echo message="Precompiling JSPS"/>

        <jasper package="com.my.web.servlets"
                uriroot="${web.basedir}"
                webXmlFragment="${jsp.web.fragment.file}"
                outputDir="${web.src.dir}" />
    </target>

Any Ideas as i'm going crazy now.... I've tried upgrading to xerces 2.4.0
but i still get the same error.

Re: [OT] Precompiling JSP with JSTL tag Libs

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003, Pat Quinn wrote:

> Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 16:41:33 +0100
> From: Pat Quinn <pa...@hotmail.com>
> To: struts-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: [OT] Precompiling JSP with JSTL tag Libs
>
> Sorry guys this is not a struts question but i'm hoping someone on here has
> had this problem before.... ive got an ANT task to precompile my jsp's
> everything worked fine until i decided to upgrade to use JSTL tag libs not i
> get the following error,
>
> [echo] Precompiling JSPS
> 2003-07-18 04:27:26 - Internal Error: File /WEB-INF/web.xml not found
> 2003-07-18 04:27:29 - ERROR-the file '\jsp\myjsp.jsp'
> generated the following general exception: org.apache.jasper.JasperException
>
> : XML parsing error on file /WEB-INF/tld/c.tld: (line 307, col 39):
> The string "--" is not permitted within comments.
> [jasper] Error in class org.apache.jasper.JspC
>
> MyJsp.jsp is the only jsp which is currently using the c.tld.
>

> My ANT Task is as follows:
>

>     <target name="jsp"  depends="webinf">
>         <taskdef name="jasper"
>                  classname="org.apache.jasper.JspC"
>                  classpath="${class.path}"/>
>
>         <echo message="Precompiling JSPS"/>
>
>         <jasper package="com.my.web.servlets"
>                 uriroot="${web.basedir}"
>                 webXmlFragment="${jsp.web.fragment.file}"
>                 outputDir="${web.src.dir}" />
>     </target>
>

> Any Ideas as i'm going crazy now.... I've tried upgrading to xerces 2.4.0
> but i still get the same error.

I suspect that it really is related to your XML parser ... this looks
suspiciously like a bug in earlier versions of Xerces.  It turned out that
one of our Struts DTDs had a comment line longer than 80 characters, but
caused Xerces to output a totally bogus error just like this, pointing at
a place totally unrelated to where the problem really was.

Note that, if you're using JDK 1.4, simply putting Xerces 2.4 into your
classpath does *not* replace the use of the built-in parser.  You have to
put it in the "endorsed standards" directory ($JAVA_HOME/jre/endorsed I
*think* -- it's in the JDK docs), or use a system property to declare the
directory containing this JAR to be your endorsed directory.

To use an updated parser in Tomcat 4.1 or later, put it in
$CATALINA_HOME/common/endorsed.

Craig

RE: [Friday] How far can we let the clients push us?

Posted by Mike Jasnowski <mj...@bea.com>.
I worked on projects with similar request, one client wanted to be able to
have Rich TExt editing of memos.

Posted by Jing Zhou <ji...@netspread.com>.
Hi, Yansheng,

The slow start-up time (of applets) has been improved significantly in the
latest release J2SE 1.4.2. A high quality applet will also find ways to
improve the initialization time as we do in our product, Carrier. It is
available for download at http://www.netspread.com

In the universe of data entries, there are two kinds of data structures
that business people are using: tabular data and hierarchical data.
A spreadsheet can handle tabular data with easy, but it is
very difficult to handle hierarchical data, such as the data in Ant project
configurations with many levels of nested elements.

The algorithms of Carrier Wheels solve the puzzle and are able to
handle both data structures completely on Internet. Our phased
validation model could be used to ensure data entries for every row
are valid as well as for every nested form.

If you look at our demo IRS Form 2441, you will find it is a typical
spreadsheet like application. With one custom event handler to
calculate the taxes, you compose the application completely within
the Carrier client environment. The data entries are automatically
persisted in database tables and restored back in hyper form beans
by default.

What makes Carrier different than a spreadsheet is its ability to
manage hundreds or thousands web applications on Internet.
It is the first Internet IDE in its concept. End users could even
use it to exchange data entries in self-designed web forms
without the need of writing single line of codes.

If anyone would like to test such capabilities on Internet, send email
to support@netspread.com. Our live demo has been tested
in many different client environments, like Fortune 500 corporate.
Life should not be that hard, it is beautiful :-)

Carrier works with existing Struts applications within one web
application. It is intended to solve problems in solution spaces to
help Struts users to quickly get their job done. The source codes
for Carrier Wheels are open. Also free volume redistribution
licenses are available for pilot users/consultants.

Jing
Netspread Carrier
http://www.netspread.com

Posted by Erik Price <ep...@ptc.com>.

Posted by Sandeep Takhar <sa...@yahoo.com>.
This is a mistake to do this en masse.

sandeep

http://news.com.com/2100-1012_3-5051575.html?tag=fd_top

Posted by Erik Price <ep...@ptc.com>.

Posted by Vic Cekvenich <vi...@baseBeans.com>.
Together with low demand

Posted by Rahul <ra...@clear.net.nz>.
Hi Yansheng,

If you interested in using DOM, have a look at http://www.domapi.com/ for
creating a spreadsheet. Its slow when it comes to implementing something
like spreadsheets..... but it looks neat !!

HTH,

rahul

Posted by Yansheng Lin <ya...@isogis.com>.

Re: Struts 1.1 prepareStatement woes

Posted by Siva <si...@india.adventnet.com>.
Dear Joel,

You are using some struts API in your class which was implementes (not
abstract) in RC2 and become abstract in 1.1 final release. AbstractMethodError
will happen only in these scenario.

Siva

Posted by Mark Galbreath <ma...@qat.com>.

Posted by Yansheng Lin <ya...@isogis.com>.

Posted by Mark Galbreath <ma...@qat.com>.

Posted by David Graham <gr...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Yansheng Lin <ya...@isogis.com>.

Posted by David Graham <gr...@yahoo.com>.
--- Pat Quinn <pa...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry guys this is not a struts question but i'm hoping someone on here
> has
> had this problem before.... ive got an ANT task to precompile my jsp's
> everything worked fine until i decided to upgrade to use JSTL tag libs
> not i
> get the following error,
>
> [echo] Precompiling JSPS
> 2003-07-18 04:27:26 - Internal Error: File /WEB-INF/web.xml not found
> 2003-07-18 04:27:29 - ERROR-the file '\jsp\myjsp.jsp'
> generated the following general exception:
> org.apache.jasper.JasperException
>
> : XML parsing error on file /WEB-INF/tld/c.tld: (line 307, col 39):
> The string "--" is not permitted within comments.
> [jasper] Error in class org.apache.jasper.JspC

You don't need to copy tld files anywhere under Servlet 2.3 containers.
Remove the tlds and try again.

David