Posted to dev@bookkeeper.apache.org by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com> on 2019/11/06 21:09:01 UTC

Board report draft for November 2019

Hello,
Below you can find the draft of the report to the ASF borad I am preparing
Any comment and correction is welcome from the community.
This time I used the wizard at
https://reporter.apache.org/wizard/?bookkeeper

can you help me ? It seems that "reporter" only show 'most notable trends'
and not full data.

I am not sure we should continue to talk about "companies": Yahoo, Twitter,
Salesforce

Enrico

BookKeeper is a scalable, fault-tolerant, and low-latency storageservice
optimized for append-only workloads. It has been used as
a fundamental service to build high available and replicated services
in companies like Twitter, Yahoo and Salesforce. It is also the log
segment store for Apache DistributedLog and message store for Apache Pulsar.

Apache DistributedLog is a high-level API and service layer for
Apache BookKeeper, providing easier access to the BookKeeper
primitives. It is a subproject of Apache BookKeeper.

## Issues:
There are no issues requiring board attention at this time.

## Membership Data:
Apache BookKeeper was founded 2014-11-19 (5 years ago)
There are currently 21 committers and 16 PMC members in this project.
The Committer-to-PMC ratio is roughly 3:2.

Community changes, past quarter:
- No new PMC members. Last addition was Charan Reddy G on 2019-07-24.
- No new committers. Last addition was Andrey Yegorov on 2018-02-09.

## Project Activity:
- 4.9.1 was released on April 7 2019
- 4.9.2 was released on May 16 2019
- 4.10.0: was released on November 6 2019
- The growth of Apache Pulsar community also help grow the adoption
of BookKeeper. This helps building the ecosystem around BookKeeper.
- The project is also extending its scope to cover long term distributed
storage and now bundles a new KV distributed database (StreamStorage).
- We released a new Python client for the StreamStorage service.
- We are working on a brand new CLI interface

GitHub issues:
19 issues opened on GitHub, past quarter (35% increase)
35 issues closed on GitHub, past quarter (191% increase)

GitHub PR activity:
37 PRs opened on GitHub, past quarter (2% increase)
26 PRs closed on GitHub, past quarter (-33% decrease)

## Community Health:
- During the last quarter there development slowed down a little and we
missed one scheduled release (we started a Time based release plan this
year).
- During the last months new users and contributors appeared expecially
from Apache Pulsar community and from other OSS projects that were born
recently and are based on Apache BookKeeper.
-Mailing list discussions are brisk, in particularly around the
active projects.

Re: Board report draft for November 2019

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.
FYI. I just posted the report.

Thanks Enrico for putting this together!

- Sijie

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.
Hi Enrico,