Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Upendra Dadi <ud...@gmu.edu> on 2009/11/27 02:07:29 UTC

mapreduce with non-text data

Hi,
  Are there any use cases, examples of use of Hadoop MapReduce for non-text
data? Only examples that I see on the web are for text data. Any pointers in
that direction is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Regards,
Upendra

Pipes with the latest version of mapReduce

Posted by Upendra Dadi <ud...@gmu.edu>.
Hi,
  I am trying to use MapReduce Pipes with version 0.20.1. of hadoop. If I
used  org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.lib.input.TextInputFormat as the input
format with the             -InputFormat option, I am getting the following
error:
    Exception in thread "main" java.lang.ClassCastException: class
org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.lib.input.TextInputFormat
     at java.lang.Class.asSubclass(Class.java:3018)
     at
org.apache.hadoop.mapred.pipes.Submitter.getClass(Submitter.java:372)
     at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.pipes.Submitter.run(Submitter.java:421)
     at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.pipes.Submitter.main(Submitter.java:494)

I was able to run Pipes without the -InputFormat option, but my requirement
is to extend TextInputFormat.  I guess Pipes is assuming the inputFormat  to
be of type org.apache.hadoop.mapred.InputFormat, which is deprecated. So I
guess 0.20.1 is not fully ported to work with Pipes. Am I right here? Which
version should I use? Thanks.

Upendra

Re: mapreduce with non-text data

Posted by Erez Katz <er...@yahoo.com>.