Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by Thomas Bentsen <th...@bentzn.com> on 2014/01/27 16:34:05 UTC

Starting... -help needed

Hello everyone

I have recently decided to try out the Hadoop complex.

According to the getting started I am supposed to change the config in
[hadoop]/conf/*
But there is no such conf directory.

It looks a lot like I am supposed to copy the files from the tar-file
all over the OS into the folders with relatively well known names on a
Linux machine. I can try to guess where they all go... -but..? Really?

I need a very basic:
1) First you download the package
2) Then you unpack it
3) All the files in ... are copied/symlinked to ...
4) All the files in ... are copied/symlinked to ...
..
..
x) Config is done in ...
y) Starting services is done with ...

I wouldn't mind writing it myself to help others get started from
scratch but I need somewhere to start.

best regards

Thomas Bentsen

Re: Starting... -help needed

Posted by Thomas Bentsen <th...@bentzn.com>.
Anything on this?

I am pretty stuck here.
_Not_ possible to install and run Hadoop 2.2.0 with the instructions on
the website. I am sure this is not how it's supposed to be with SW from
the Apache Software Foundation: frustrating!

Where is the 'MapReduce tarball' in the binary download? It's mentioned
on the 'Single Node Setup' page - with the title 'Hadoop MapReduce Next
Generation - Setting up a Single Node Cluster'.

Where do I find the 'hadoop-common' and the 'hadoop-common/hadoop-hdfs'
path in the binary download as mentioned on the 'Single Node Setup'
page?

The 'core-default.xml' mentioned on the 'cluster setup' page is buried
in
'[hadoop_2.2.0_bin_package]/share/doc/hadoop/hadoop-project-dist/hadoop-common'
Is that _really_ where 'Read-only default configuration' is supposed to
be?

The 'conf/core-site.xml' does not exist!
However there is a
'[hadoop_2.2.0_bin_package]/etc/hadoop/core-site.xml'? Is that it?

After all this confusion I dropped everything about exporting any env
vars pointing anywhere and running something - and then I was kinda
stuck.

As I mentioned before: I wouldn't mind writing this so other newbies can
get started without beating up the dog too much but I myself need to get
started somewhere.

best regards
Thomas Bentsen

PS -to introduce myself:
10+ years of experience architecting and programming proprietary,
hi-load server-systems (Java) for gaming, data acquisition and business.

Re: Starting... -help needed

Posted by Thomas Bentsen <th...@bentzn.com>.
Anything on this?

Re: Starting... -help needed