Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by KEVIN ZEMBOWER <KZ...@jhuccp.org> on 2005/03/28 21:27:25 UTC

Possible bug regarding moving directories?

I can't explain the output of these commands, and suspect that this might be a bug. Note, I didn't snip anything from the output or order of this session:
kevinz@www:~/public_html/orderDB$ ls -l
total 28
-rw-r--r--    1 kevinz   wwwadmin      113 Mar 21 16:30 Makefile
-rw-r--r--    1 kevinz   wwwadmin     5224 Mar 21 16:30 additem.php
drwxr-xr-x    3 kevinz   wwwadmin     4096 Mar 21 16:30 help
drwxr-xr-x    3 kevinz   wwwadmin     4096 Mar 21 16:30 includes
drwxr-xr-x    3 kevinz   wwwadmin     4096 Mar 28 14:44 obsolete
drwxr-xr-x    3 kevinz   wwwadmin     4096 Mar 28 15:32 tmp
kevinz@www:~/public_html/orderDB$ svn mv obsolete/ scripts/
svn: Use --force to override this restriction
svn: Move will not be attempted unless forced
svn: 'obsolete/loadInventory.pl' has local modifications
kevinz@www:~/public_html/orderDB$ svn commit -m"Committing to allow directory name change."
Sending        obsolete/loadInventory.pl
Deleting       tmp/KeywordsEngFreSpa.csv
Deleting       tmp/KeywordsEngFreSpa.txt
Adding         tmp/README.updateInv_POPLINE
Transmitting file data ..
Committed revision 20.
kevinz@www:~/public_html/orderDB$ svn mv obsolete/ scripts/
A         scripts
D         obsolete/loadKeywords.pl
D         obsolete/loadInventory.pl
D         obsolete/buildOrderDB.pl
D         obsolete
kevinz@www:~/public_html/orderDB$ ls -l scripts/
total 20
-rwxr-xr-x    1 kevinz   wwwadmin     6516 Mar 28 15:37 buildOrderDB.pl
-rwxr-xr-x    1 kevinz   wwwadmin     4329 Mar 28 15:37 loadInventory.pl
-rwxr-xr-x    1 kevinz   wwwadmin     2272 Mar 28 15:37 loadKeywords.pl
kevinz@www:~/public_html/orderDB$ svn commit -m"Renamed obsolete/ to scripts/."
Deleting       obsolete
svn: Commit failed (details follow):
svn: Out of date: '/trunk/obsolete' in transaction 'r'
kevinz@www:~/public_html/orderDB$

Please let me know if this is a bug that I should report. Or, if not a bug, what should I do to commit the changes?

Thanks.

-Kevin Zembower

Re: Possible bug regarding moving directories?

Posted by Mark Phippard <Ma...@softlanding.com>.
KEVIN ZEMBOWER <KZ...@jhuccp.org> wrote on 03/28/2005 04:27:25 PM:

> Please let me know if this is a bug that I should report. Or, if not a
bug,
> what should I do to commit the changes?

You need to run svn up before you can commit again.

This is the "mixed revision working copy" issue that bites so many people.
 When you did the commit of the change to the file in obsolete, that
caused the obsolete folder to become out of date.  Commit does not update
the revision for the folder in your WC, just the file in the folder.
Running svn up will get the folder up to the latest revision which is
required to move it, delete it or modify its properties.

Mark