Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Piyush Vijay <pi...@gmail.com> on 2018/05/19 02:51:45 UTC

[VOTE] KIP-290: Support for wildcard suffixed ACLs

Hi everyone,

I would like to start a vote for
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-290%3A+Support+for+wildcard+suffixed+ACLs
.

The KIP proposes a way to support wildcard-suffixed resource names in Kafka
ACLs.

The main challenge was to support it in a backward compatible way because
resources like consumer groups don't have defined naming convention and can
have '*' in their names.

Please take a look.

Thanks

Piyush Vijay

Re: [VOTE] KIP-290: Support for wildcard suffixed ACLs

Posted by Colin McCabe <cm...@apache.org>.
Hmm, do we still need one more binding +1, or did I misread the vote thread?

+1 (non-binding) from me.

As I posted in the other thread, I think it would make sense to name the new ZK hierarchy /kafka-prefix-acls or similar, to reflect the fact that they are ACLs that match by a name prefix.  They're not really "wildcards"

It would also be nice to have a MatchType enum in the Resource class like LITERAL (for existing ACLs) and PREFIX (for the new ACL type).  This would put us in a good position to implement new ACL types in the future if the desire arises, and also clearly explain how each type works.

best,
Colin

Posted by Piyush Vijay <pi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.

--
-- Guozhang

Re: [VOTE] KIP-290: Support for wildcard suffixed ACLs

Posted by Damian Guy <da...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)