Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Kevin Grignon <ke...@gmail.com> on 2012/05/18 09:24:43 UTC

[UX] New AOO User Experience Community

Hello All,

I'm pleased to announce that we have established a new AOO user experience
community. Watch
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Apache_OpenOffice_User_Experiencefor
updates.

If you're passionate about designing and developing great software, then
AOO UX would welcome your support. Please show your support and share you
UX interests on the AOO UX community members list. Visit
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/AOO_User_Experience_Community_Membersto
sign up.

AOO UX community seeks to understand who uses AOO and what it means in
their life. Let's work together to enhance the existing products, and
design our future products.

Regards,
Kevin

AOO User Experience Design

Re: [UX] New AOO User Experience Community

Posted by Rod Lockwood <ro...@provide.net>.
And the other link is supposed to be:
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/AOO_User_Experience_Community_Members

On Fri, 18 May 2012 05:38:39 -0400, Kevin Grignon
<ke...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Niall,
>
> Thanks for your note and interest in UX.
>
> Interesting. Which link is causing trouble.
>
> Try:
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Apache_OpenOffice_User_Experience
>
> Regards,
> Kevin
>

> On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 5:34 PM, Niall Martin
> <ni...@rndmartin.cix.co.uk>wrote:
>
>> Page apparently not yet ready for use, and seems to be in Italian.
>>
>> On 18 May 2012 at 15:24, Kevin Grignon wrote:
>>
>> Send reply to: ooo-users@incubator.apache.org
>> Date sent: Fri, 18 May 2012 15:24:43 +0800
>> Subject: [UX] New AOO User Experience Community
>> From: Kevin Grignon <ke...@gmail.com>
>> To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org, ooo-users@incubator.apache.org
>>
>> > Hello All,
>> >
>> > I'm pleased to announce that we have established a new AOO user
>> > experience community. Watch
>> > http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Apache_OpenOffice_User_Experi
>> > encefor updates.
>> >
>> > If you're passionate about designing and developing great software,
>> > then AOO UX would welcome your support. Please show your support and
>> > share you UX interests on the AOO UX community members list. Visit
>> > http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/AOO_User_Experience_Community
>> > _Membersto sign up.
>> >
>> > AOO UX community seeks to understand who uses AOO and what it means in
>> > their life. Let's work together to enhance the existing products, and
>> > design our future products.
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> > Kevin
>> >
>> > AOO User Experience Design
>> >

>> Niall Martin
>> Phone 0131 4678468
>> Please reply to: niall<at>rndmartin.cix.co.uk

Later Sincerely,
Rod Lockwood
Rod’s Rants
Rod’s Belfry
Victorian Cosmos
My Facebook profile
webmaster, Pokémon Dungeon (White Phoenix)
founder, Gomorra Town Hall on Facebook
WhitePhoenix on IRC Chat
WhitePhoenixUS on YouTube and just about everywhere else
Support your local and online small businesses!
Feed the Pig.

Re: [UX] New AOO User Experience Community

Posted by Kevin Grignon <ke...@gmail.com>.
Niall,

Posted by Niall Martin <ni...@rndmartin.cix.co.uk>.
Page apparently not yet ready for use, and seems to be in Italian.

On 18 May 2012 at 15:24, Kevin Grignon wrote:

Send reply to:	ooo-users@incubator.apache.org
Date sent:	Fri, 18 May 2012 15:24:43 +0800
Subject:	[UX] New AOO User Experience Community
From:	Kevin Grignon <ke...@gmail.com>
To:	ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org, ooo-users@incubator.apache.org

Posted by Kevin Grignon <ke...@gmail.com>.
Erik,

I think that some extra text was included in your URL.

Kevin

Posted by Kevin Grignon <ke...@gmail.com>.
Jurgen,

Thanks for your note.

While I agree that such a list may not scale, nor accurately reflect the
broader contribution, there is much to do, and little structure is in place.

The UX list is simply an attempt to build some momentum, and get an idea of
who is interested in reaching in and working on some UX-specific tasks.

I should note that by "community members", I mean people who are keen on
working on AOO UX tasks. It was suggested recently, that the term "team"
should not be used in such contexts.

Let's try it out. It is low cost, and it will help the UX program get up
and running.

Regards,
Kevin

Posted by Albino Biasutti Neto <bi...@gmail.com>.
Hi.

2012/5/24 Paulo de Souza Lima <pa...@varekai.org>

> I think I got your point. You're right. There's no need to identify some
> people as a "group". But, in fact, there are some "groups", for example,
> the "infra group", "cws group", "brazilian volunteers group", "italian
> volunteers group", and so on. That's because it's needed some admin rights
> to do their tasks, or because regional identification, not because they are
> separated groups. Giving my opinion in this list, I'm giving it
> individually and not in the name of the "groups" I can identify myself to.
> At least, I understand this way. Correct me If I understood it wrong.

+1

2012/5/24 Yong Lin Ma <ma...@apache.org>

> The bar for UX design of such a
> product is very low.

The prefix UX is but obvious and organized to know what the interest and
subject of the email.

Albino

Re: [UX] New AOO User Experience Community

Posted by Kevin Grignon <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Saturday, May 26, 2012, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 6:18 PM, Kay Schenk <kay.schenk@gmail.com<javascript:;>>
> wrote:
> > On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 8:23 PM, Kevin Grignon <
> kevingrignon.oo@gmail.com <javascript:;>>wrote:
> >
> >> Hello all,
> >>
> >> Thanks for input.
> >>
> >> Here is what I understand the community is saying:
> >>
> >> AOO community = team
> >> [UX] = mailing list topic prefix
> >> User experience - design and development topic related to the end user
> >> experience
> >> People who contribute to user experience activities - a self-selected
> group
> >> of individuals working on a common user experience- related tasks for a
> >> period
> >> of time
> >> Pronoun "I" is preferred to "we"
> >>
> >> Got it. This makes sense.
> >>
> >> I'm still adapting to the "Apache" way. I appreciated the ongoing
> feedback
> >> and guidance.
> >>

> > Kevin,
> >
> > I think you've got it! Yes, Apache is much flatter structure than what
> you
> > (many of us) were used to previously. The major advantage that I have
> found
> > is that everyone gets to know what everyone else is working on. It may
> seem
> > daunting at times, but it has a lot of advantages -- mutual decision
> making
> > giving  everyone  a say, no surprise actions by one group over another.
> >

> One way to think of it:  the "natural" evolution of a "team" is to
> start with common interests, then to form a self-identity around that
> common interest and team, an "us" versus "them" world view, then for a
> formal leadership hierarchy to arise to "manage" and coordinate the
> various boxes.  This is a common structure that we see throughout the
> world, from armies to corporations to governments to religions.   The
> legacy OpenOffice.org project did this as well, and to support it had
> hundreds of mailing lists for the various projects, its councils and
> steering committees, its designated leads and deputies, etc.
>
> On the one hand this is a very efficient way of doing this, if
> efficiency is the primary goal.  It is also great for those who get in
> "on the ground floor".  For initial stakeholders, who get embedded in
> leadership positions, this is a wonderful model.  But I think it shows
> more tensions as the project grows, and more people join, and their
> goals conflict with the views of the legacy leaders. A hierarchical
> organization is challenged when dealing with this. And I think such
> organizations are also challenged with developing innovation.
>
> KG01

Good stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Regards,
Kevin

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kevin Grignon <ke...@gmail.com>.
Hello all,

Posted by Yong Lin Ma <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Paulo de Souza Lima <pa...@varekai.org>.
> [...]

> will
> > continue to use the [UX] email subject prefix, and only reference UX team
> > in relation to UX-specific task assignments.
> >

> Who is "we"?

I think I got your point. You're right. There's no need to identify some
people as a "group". But, in fact, there are some "groups", for example,
the "infra group", "cws group", "brazilian volunteers group", "italian
volunteers group", and so on. That's because it's needed some admin rights
to do their tasks, or because regional identification, not because they are
separated groups. Giving my opinion in this list, I'm giving it
individually and not in the name of the "groups" I can identify myself to.
At least, I understand this way. Correct me If I understood it wrong.

So, I think those interested in work in UX continue to manifest their

Cheers.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kevin Grignon <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Juergen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Paulo de Souza Lima <pa...@varekai.org>.
> [...]

> > care of their workspace. And I think there are very enthusiastic people
> at
> > this moment. And they wish to do that, but it will be useless if UX
> > couldn't count on devs to hear what they have to say, because UX should
> be
> > the channel between users and devs. The enthusiasm can go down very
> quickly.
> >

> I agree and it is and will not be easy,  In the end the work have to be
> done. That means that people have to convince other people from their
> ideas. Especially when people are not able to implement it on their own.
> The better an idea is described and sold the better is the chance that
> somebody will implement it.

I am preparing a little sample. If Mediawiki can be upgraded and the
extensions I have asked for installed, Iĺl do that in PT-BR section.

Regards

Posted by Juergen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On May 18, 2012, at 6:22 AM, Paulo de Souza Lima wrote:

> 2012/5/18 Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>
>
>> On 5/18/12 10:32 AM, Kevin Grignon wrote:
>>
>>> Erik,
>>>
>>> Good stuff. Will do.
>>>

>> do we really need such a separate page for UX community members? I don't
>> think so and I personally think it goes in the wrong direction.
>>

> There's nothing to loose, in my view. But I wouldn't call UX a "community".
> I would call it a "team".

Yes, please call it a "team" or "interest group".

We do not want to split the community into parts - the project is ONE community.

>> I am personally interested in many different areas of the project and
>> don't want to put my name on X different pages. My contribution in the
>> different areas will be also different and will change from time to time.

Ditto.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Albino Biasutti Neto <bi...@gmail.com>.
Hi.

2012/5/18 Paulo de Souza Lima <pa...@varekai.org>

> 2012/5/18 Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>
>
> > On 5/18/12 10:32 AM, Kevin Grignon wrote:
> >
> >> Erik,
> >>
> >> Good stuff. Will do.
> >>

> > do we really need such a separate page for UX community members? I don't
> > think so and I personally think it goes in the wrong direction.
> >

> There's nothing to loose, in my view. But I wouldn't call UX a "community".
> I would call it a "team".

True. :)

> > I am personally interested in many different areas of the project and
> > don't want to put my name on X different pages. My contribution in the
> > different areas will be also different and will change from time to time.
> >

> If you are interested in many areas (just like me) you are free to decide
> if you will place your name in all of them, or none. I don't see a problem
> with that. But if I am deeply involved with some project, I would like to
> place my name on it, for sure. Also, it's important from the user's point
> of view, to know who are the contacts for the issues they have. And a new
> contributor who wishes to have a larger involvement with the UX activities
> (and others too) should be able to identify who else is involved.
>

> > Such a page doesn't really reflect who is doing the work and is
> > potentially misleading.
> >

> Again, I don't think so. Indeed, it doesn't reflect who is doing the job,
> but it gives a clue. It would be worst if users have no clue about that.
> And Mediawiki has features that can give stronger clues. It's matter of
> creating some sort of workflow. If there's a workflow, anyone can drive his
> task, without the need of a "coordinator". I could give you an example we
> done in LibO, but I preffer to show you our own example in AOO: Me and Raul
> are about to finish a workflow for PT-BR document translations page which
> is working very fine in LibO and we will make it work here too. When
> finished, anyone will be able to choose a document, translate it, submit it
> for revise, revise translation, and all the work of every contributor will
> be recorded.
>
> This could be automated in certain level if we had a better wiki as I have
> asked for some days ago.
>

> > We have already a general project page with project members that doesn't
> > reflect the current situation in the project.
> >

> I agree to this point, but I think a general list "too general" for the
> average people. We should think about giving fast answers to AOO users,
> instead making them navigate through uncountable pages to find what they
> want. Do you have any idea of how difficult is for people to fill an issue
> in bugzilla, for example? Findind documentation either. And it's worst for
> those who can't read/write in English.
>

> > In general such pages are useless from my point of view and get outdated
> > very fast.
> >

> My personal/professional experience points to another direction. If UX has
> enthusiastic volunteers who take the task to themselves, they will take
> care of their workspace. And I think there are very enthusiastic people at
> this moment. And they wish to do that, but it will be useless if UX
> couldn't count on devs to hear what they have to say, because UX should be
> the channel between users and devs. The enthusiasm can go down very
> quickly.
>

> > Just my 2 ct
> >

> Mine too.

+1

Albino

Re: [UX] New AOO User Experience Community

Posted by Paulo de Souza Lima <pa...@varekai.org>.
> [...]

instead making them navigate through uncountable pages to find what they
want. Do you have any idea of how difficult is for people to fill an issue
in bugzilla, for example? Findind documentation either. And it's worst for
those who can't read/write in English.

> In general such pages are useless from my point of view and get outdated
> very fast.

My personal/professional experience points to another direction. If UX has
enthusiastic volunteers who take the task to themselves, they will take
care of their workspace. And I think there are very enthusiastic people at
this moment. And they wish to do that, but it will be useless if UX
couldn't count on devs to hear what they have to say, because UX should be
the channel between users and devs. The enthusiasm can go down very quickly.

Mine too.

> Juergen

Cheers.

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Kevin Grignon <ke...@gmail.com>.
Erik,

Good stuff. Will do.

Posted by Yong Lin Ma <ma...@gmail.com>.

--
Erik Ma

Re: [UX] New AOO User Experience Community

Posted by Yong Lin Ma <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kazunari Hirano <kh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Yong Lin Ma,

Posted by Yong Lin Ma <ma...@gmail.com>.