Posted to dev@aries.apache.org by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> on 2011/11/22 07:43:28 UTC

Another blueprint packaging change

xbean-blueprint was developed against blueprint 0.2-incubating  in which the org.apache.aries.blueprint.compendium.cm package was exported.  It no longer is.  Is this intentional?  Is it intentional that the cm schemas are in the same directory as this package?  Does this make them inaccessible to other bundles?

I can easily enough copy the class I'm extending or try to see if I can use a fragment bundle but it this change was unintentional then reverting it sooner is better than later.

thanks
david jencks

RE: Another blueprint packaging change

Posted by Timothy Ward <ti...@apache.org>.
Hi,

The original packaging of blueprint was following very poor OSGi practice (everything was exported, regardless of whether it was API), unfortunately this may mean that we have cases where internals have been subclassed. I made the change to the cm bundle to stop exporting its one and only package because all of the classes were implementation details, and not intended to be used by other bundles. I wasn't explicitly trying to hide the schema files as well, which could be considered API, but I'm not aware of a use-case for importing them. If we were to expose the schemas again then I would strongly push not to expose any of the classes that are now hidden. We could move the classes to an impl package so that the schemas wouldn't have to change location.

Regards,

Tim Ward
Apache Aries PMC member & Enterprise OSGi advocate
Enterprise OSGi in Action (http://www.manning.com/cummins)