Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by shane knapp <sk...@berkeley.edu> on 2014/10/09 00:01:04 UTC

new jenkins update + tentative release date

greetings!

i've got some updates regarding our new jenkins infrastructure, as well as
the initial date and plan for rolling things out:

*** current testing/build break whack-a-mole:
a lot of out of date artifacts are cached in the current jenkins, which has
caused a few builds during my testing to break due to dependency resolution
failure[1][2].

bumping these versions can cause your builds to fail, due to public api
changes and the like.  consider yourself warned that some projects might
require some debugging...  :)

tomorrow, i will be at databricks working w/@joshrosen to make sure that
the spark builds have any bugs hammered out.

***  deployment plan:
unless something completely horrible happens, THE NEW JENKINS WILL GO LIVE
ON MONDAY (october 13th).

all jenkins infrastructure will be DOWN for the entirety of the day
(starting at ~8am).  this means no builds, period.  i'm hoping that the
downtime will be much shorter than this, but we'll have to see how
everything goes.

all test/build history WILL BE PRESERVED.  i will be rsyncing the jenkins
jobs/ directory over, complete w/history as part of the deployment.

once i'm feeling good about the state of things, i'll point the original
url to the new instances and send out an all clear.

if you are a student at UC berkeley, you can log in to jenkins using your
LDAP login, and (by default) view but not change plans.  if you do not have
a UC berkeley LDAP login, you can still view plans anonymously.

IF YOU ARE A PLAN ADMIN, THEN PLEASE REACH OUT, ASAP, PRIVATELY AND I WILL
SET UP ADMIN ACCESS TO YOUR BUILDS.

***  post deployment plan:
fix all of the things that break!

i will be keeping a VERY close eye on the builds, checking for breaks, and
helping out where i can.  if the situation is dire, i can always roll back
to the old jenkins infra...  but i hope we never get to that point!  :)

i'm hoping that things will go smoothly, but please be patient as i'm
certain we'll hit a few bumps in the road.

please let me know if you guys have any comments/questions/concerns...  :)

shane

1 - https://github.com/bigdatagenomics/bdg-services/pull/18
2 - https://github.com/bigdatagenomics/avocado/pull/111

Re: new jenkins update + tentative release date

Posted by Nicholas Chammas <ni...@gmail.com>.
*fingers crossed*

Posted by shane knapp <sk...@berkeley.edu>.

Posted by Nicholas Chammas <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by shane knapp <sk...@berkeley.edu>.

Posted by Nicholas Chammas <ni...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for doing this work Shane.

So is Jenkins in the new datacenter now? Do you know if the problems with
checking out patches from GitHub should be resolved now? Here's an example
from the past hour
<https://amplab.cs.berkeley.edu/jenkins/job/SparkPullRequestBuilder/21702/console>
.

Nick