Posted to user@phoenix.apache.org by vi...@barclays.com on 2016/04/14 17:31:30 UTC

Replacing solr with pheonix for XML data

Hi,

Are there any use cases ,resources or experience  substituting    solr with phoenix for    semi-structured data like XML.

Thanks
vikram

This message is for information purposes only, it is not a recommendation, advice, offer or solicitation to buy or sell a product or service nor an official confirmation of any transaction. It is directed at persons who are professionals and is not intended for retail customer use. Intended for recipient only. This message is subject to the terms at: www.barclays.com/emaildisclaimer.

For important disclosures, please see: www.barclays.com/salesandtradingdisclaimer regarding market commentary from Barclays Sales and/or Trading, who are active market participants; and in respect of Barclays Research, including disclosures relating to specific issuers, please see http://publicresearch.barclays.com.

Re: Replacing solr with pheonix for XML data

Posted by Randy Gelhausen <rg...@gmail.com>.
Hi Vikram,

This question comes up somewhat often, so I'd be very interested in
comments from other users of Solr and Phoenix as well.

You'd need to either pre-parse fields from XML and save them as column
values to use in queries, or use a UDF to dynamically parse XML stored
within a single column.

Solr and Phoenix are similar in that they support indexing for fast
filtering, but Solr seems to do a better job combining arbitrary
combinations of indexed fields in a search. Phoenix can't combine arbitrary
indexes without diligent use of hints or creative pre-filtering within
subqueries.

So, if you know which fields you plan to query on (and can make use of
well-thought out indexes) and are able to pre-parse your XML into
additional columns, Phoenix is a good fit. In particular, if you always
know at least some of the highest order primary key bits and can therefore
ensure queries are range-scans, it might also be a good fit.

What do others think?

Thanks,
-Randy