Posted to dev@openjpa.apache.org by Kevin Sutter <kw...@gmail.com> on 2009/02/03 22:55:23 UTC

Access to Bean Validation provider (JSR-303)

Hi,
The JPA 2.0 expert group is looking to incorporate Bean Validation
(JSR-303).  Right now, it looks like we might include it as an optional
feature.  If a Bean Validation provider is available, then the JPA provider
should use it.  Otherwise, it is not a requirement.

The RI is being developed by Redhat.  There was an Apache Commons sandbox
started for a potential Bean Validator provider, but the activity has died
off.

So, I'm wondering from an OpenJPA and OpenEJB perspective, what should we
do?  I may be mistaken, but my guess is that the EJB spec is going to
contain a similar dependency on Bean Validation.  I don't believe the RI
will be directly accessible to us via a Maven dependency.  Does anybody know
of other Bean Validation provider implementations that are in plan?

Thoughts, suggestions?

Kevin

Re: Access to Bean Validation provider (JSR-303)

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Feb 3, 2009, at 1:55 PM, Kevin Sutter wrote:

> Hi,
> The JPA 2.0 expert group is looking to incorporate Bean Validation
> (JSR-303).  Right now, it looks like we might include it as an
> optional
> feature.  If a Bean Validation provider is available, then the JPA
> provider
> should use it.  Otherwise, it is not a requirement.
>
> The RI is being developed by Redhat.  There was an Apache Commons
> sandbox
> started for a potential Bean Validator provider, but the activity
> has died
> off.
>
> So, I'm wondering from an OpenJPA and OpenEJB perspective, what
> should we
> do?  I may be mistaken, but my guess is that the EJB spec is going to
> contain a similar dependency on Bean Validation.  I don't believe
> the RI
> will be directly accessible to us via a Maven dependency.  Does
> anybody know
> of other Bean Validation provider implementations that are in plan?

Hi Kevin,

Still reading through that spec myself.  Started taking a look at it
when you posted.

Doesn't seem that terribly complicated at first blush.

Definitely we can and should make the spec api classes available.
Shouldn't be too hard to hack them up.  Likely we can throw them in
Geronimo with the other specs.

I noticed Bob Lee's name in the spec and recognize a lot of the ideas
from Guice presentations I've seen.  I wonder if they'll be
implementing the API in which case we could get a likely great ASL
licensed version.

-David

Re: Access to Bean Validation provider (JSR-303)

Posted by Jean-Louis MONTEIRO <je...@atosorigin.com>.
Hi,

It seems definitely interesting.
There is another JSR 303 implementation from Google:
http://code.google.com/p/agimatec-validation/

Kind regards,
Jean-Louis MONTEIRO

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

Posted by Kevin Sutter <kw...@gmail.com>.
It's sounding better every day...  :-)  Thanks for the update, Mohammad.

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
Hi Kevin ...

--
----
Thanks

Re: Access to Bean Validation provider (JSR-303)

Posted by Kevin Sutter <kw...@gmail.com>.
This sounds promising.  It's especially nice that they are using Apache 2.0
Licensing.  I see that they keep up the nightly builds.  I wonder how active
this group really is.  If there's a forum, maybe you can ping them to find
out how real they are.

Thanks for finding this.
Kevin

Posted by Kevin Sutter <kw...@gmail.com>.