Posted to users@maven.apache.org by mark_in_gr <mc...@xrite.com> on 2007/03/08 03:19:19 UTC

Best Practice for Deploying an Application w/Dependencies

I would like suggestions as to the best practice for managing the deployment
of an executable jar/java application through it's various stages of
development.

One proven process would be to involve a continuous integration server which
would produce a snapshot build once a developer commits source code
revisions through scm. This build would be used by testing/QA teams for
various levels of regression and integration testing.

What would be the most efficient way to format my executable jar
application, though? Using the maven assembly plugin's
jar-with-dependencies, I can bundle up all the jar's dependencies in
unpacked form in one jar file and easily distribute the app that way.
However, is this the most practical approach as opposed to including ONLY my
internal application dependencies(classes our organization has written)
within the jar along w/manifest classpath references to external
dependencies in a lib directory relative to the location of the executable
jar?

I understand the concept and relationships between the maven package
phase(which builds artifacts to a developer's local file system target
directory), install phase(copying the target artifacts to the local
repository) and finally the deploy phase(which takes the local repo artifact
and sends it to a specified location based on a given transfer protocol).
However, is this concept only applicable to artifacts which are meant to be
components to be shared, or full fledged applications as well? And if the
later is true, how does one structure the executable jar application in
regards to it's external dependencies so it may be used in an automated
build and testing process?