Posted to dev@shindig.apache.org by Cassie <do...@apache.org> on 2008/01/09 05:17:05 UTC

Questions about the final details of integrating shindig/opensocial/caja

Hey everybody, so right now I am trying to wrap up some code to get shindig
integrated with opensocial and caja. (This is only caja on the js side - I
will not be talking about anything having to do with cajoling.) Working with
the code, I have come up with some questions about the new features stuff
and some maven/shindig things:

1. I've heard mention that as soon as caja uses maven we will be able to
depend on it for the java code. Will this also allow us to reference the
caja js code inside the new features thing? (If so, how - I'm not very
familiar with maven yet :)

2. There are going to be multiple features that rely on the same javascript.
For example, the opensocial reference code will be used by a lot of them.
Instead of having some js files in the features directory and some in the
javascript directory, I think it would be great if we kept everything in a
javascript directory. This will allow us to see and refactor out common
libraries more easily. So, Kevin, what do you think about undoing the move
you just did? What were your reasons behind it?

3. After we move things back into the javascript folder, how do I reference
them from the features xml?

4. Can we host the html and js files in the javascript on the shindig
webserver somewhere? I thought I could throw them into the WEB-INF directory
in order to access them but I was obviously having some issues. It would be
great to be able to run the shindig server and hit the sample1.html file
that is being served up by that server. (Perhaps I just missed how to do
this but the readme in the javascript dir makes you serve the files
yourself. We already have a server, so that's just silly. Again, I
definitely could have misunderstood) I would like to do this so I can move
some version of the samplecontainer.html file into shindig, thus eliminating
the code.google.com opensocial site.

5. (Not related to opensocial and caja) Has anyone been able to get the
gadgets js files to produce nice js docs with jsdoc toolkit? (Without too
many
modifications to the files that is) I was messing around with some @scope
and @memberOf things but couldn't get anything to work properly without
changing the file around.

Sorry for the long email, hopefully we can wrap up these integrations soon.
Thanks!

- Cassie

Re: Questions about the final details of integrating shindig/opensocial/caja

Posted by David Harkness <dh...@google.com>.
On Jan 8, 2008 8:17 PM, Cassie <do...@apache.org> wrote:
> 1. I've heard mention that as soon as caja uses maven we will be able to
> depend on it for the java code. Will this also allow us to reference the
> caja js code inside the new features thing? (If so, how - I'm not very
> familiar with maven yet :)

I believe caja could release a javascript.jar (much like other
projects release a xxx-src.jar), which is essentially a zip file of
the javascript files. I know only enough about maven to be dangerous,
but I think you could make it expand the archive after grabbing a new
version. Regardless, all of the javascript files in SVN are available
over HTTP if you want to write a script to perform a snapshot
yourself.

> 4. Can we host the html and js files in the javascript on the shindig
> webserver somewhere? I thought I could throw them into the WEB-INF directory
> in order to access them but I was obviously having some issues.

Put the files directly into "webapp", not "webapp/WEB-INF". You can
create subdirectories in webapp (like "js") as well. If we want the
javascript files from the feature directories served up by shindig,
I'd bet maven could be made to package them up into the WAR.