Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "Ilyevsky, Leonid (Equity Trading)" <Le...@ml.com> on 2007/04/11 16:45:27 UTC

Deploying assembly

I am using "mvn assembly:assembly deploy" command to upload my
distribution to the repository.
After that, to deploy it on the target machine, I use a simple Perl
script that downloads the assembly using http and then unpacks it.
Seems that this is pretty convenient thing, and my distributions are
under maven control, with names, versions, etc.

I had a discussion with my colleague, and he says that this usage of
Maven may be not appropriate, that Maven should be used for libraries
and not for executable packages.

I would like to hear what maven community thinks about this.

Another question: is there a way to download and unpack the assembly
using Maven? This would be more organized way for deployment.

If you are not an intended recipient of this e-mail, please notify the sender, delete it and do not read, act upon, print, disclose, copy, retain or redistribute it. Click here for important additional terms relating to this e-mail.     http://www.ml.com/email_terms/

Re: Deploying assembly

Posted by John Casey <ca...@gmail.com>.
1. I don't see any reason why your technique should be considered bad. In
fact, we have an open issue in MASSEMBLY (assembly plugin jira) to add
installer-creators to the underlying archiver implementation (not sure
that's right architecture-wise, but the issue is there nonetheless).

2. I think you might be able to use a POM with the distro listed as a
dependency (don't forget the <classifier/>!), then use the dependency:unpack
mojo...check out http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-dependency-plugin for
more on that, though.

HTH,

-john

On 4/11/07, Ilyevsky, Leonid (Equity Trading) <Le...@ml.com>
wrote:

> I am using "mvn assembly:assembly deploy" command to upload my
> distribution to the repository.
> After that, to deploy it on the target machine, I use a simple Perl
> script that downloads the assembly using http and then unpacks it.
> Seems that this is pretty convenient thing, and my distributions are
> under maven control, with names, versions, etc.
>
> I had a discussion with my colleague, and he says that this usage of
> Maven may be not appropriate, that Maven should be used for libraries
> and not for executable packages.
>
> I would like to hear what maven community thinks about this.
>
> Another question: is there a way to download and unpack the assembly
> using Maven? This would be more organized way for deployment.
>
> If you are not an intended recipient of this e-mail, please notify the
> sender, delete it and do not read, act upon, print, disclose, copy, retain
> or redistribute it. Click here for important additional terms relating to
> this e-mail.     http://www.ml.com/email_terms/

John Casey
---
Maven Developer (http://maven.apache.org)