Posted to dev@archiva.apache.org by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org> on 2011/08/03 17:50:03 UTC

Archiva refactoring

Hi Folks,
I'd like to continue working on the refactoring. Most of the part
(removing plexus stuff is mostly done).
Now the next step is probably to expose our apis (redback, archiva)
tru REST services.
IMHO with this we will be able to refactor ui more easily (and maybe
write different ui technologies)
I think about using cxf (ASF dogfood)
No objections ? (btw I will start first with redback)

Thanks
--
Olivier Lamy
Talend : http://talend.com

Re: Archiva refactoring

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
I can help with cxf if you need it.

Re: Archiva refactoring

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
2011/8/22 Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>:

> On 20/08/2011, at 3:33 AM, Olivier Lamy wrote:
>

>>> Is this duplication of "remote" type code, or business logic? I would have thought the actual remote stuff would be a pretty thin layer, and that most would live in search or the repository API, or a "repository admin API" (which is probably a combination of the current configuration module + the code that is in the web app now)
>>
>> dupe are wrappers and some thin logic (bean/datas validation too).
>> Have a look at the addManagedRepo part in webapp and xmlrpc (and now
>> in rest part :-) )
>> BTW not critical or a big issue just a cleanup to do :-).
>> That's why I wanted to move some of those dups in a new module
>> (archiva-remote-layer ? Maye I'm not really good enough in marketing
>> to find the good name :-) )
>> Let me know
>
> A lot of this particular one is staging, which I aim to reduce (I'm part way through removing the additional managed repository configuration as it should be implicit).
>
> I do think most of this is the repository admin, so a repository admin API would make sense…
>
> ManagedRepositoryAdmin.createManagedRepository(…)
> ManagedRepositoryAdmin.deleteManagedRepository(…)
> RemoteRepositoryAdmin.create...
> … etc.
>
> That's instead of calling it a "remote layer" - because a lot of this has nothing to do with being remote (except that a user requested it… but a Java app embedding Archiva could request these too).
>
> The tricky bit is perhaps that security is isolated to the web modules at the moment, and these modules to cover security operations too - these could either stay in the current code (if it's a 1-liner), or be added to archiva-security I guess.
>
> Does that make sense?

Yup makes sense.
Will reduce the job by just doing/adding some wrappers and configuring
security things.
I will start creating the module.

--
Olivier Lamy
Talend : http://talend.com

Re: Archiva refactoring

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Re: Archiva refactoring

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.

Re: Archiva refactoring

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Re: Archiva refactoring

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
FYI note on progress :-)

So I'm focused on REST support and OSGI stuff (some features added in
maven indexer for osgi metadatas indexing).
REST support move slowly as I have to take care of some code done in
webapp rather than in services and redback karma on services.

And to be able to have a good set of unit test, I have to provide
first some admin services before rest search services.

Note as there is a large code duplication in xmlrpc and current rest
stuff, I think about creating a common modules which will contains
base remote services code (a name like : common-remote-services or an
other if someone has a better idea :-) )

Regarding documentation of available rest services, I will probably
work with cxf folks to generate some pages tru a maven plugin (see [1]
)

All comments are welcome :-)

Olivier Lamy
Talend : http://talend.com

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CXF-3731

Re: Archiva refactoring

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Re: Archiva refactoring

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Re: Archiva refactoring

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
Hello,

Re: Archiva refactoring

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Re: Archiva refactoring

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
I will sum up this here

2011/8/4 Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>:
> [...]
> jetty (asf dogfood again), an "embeded" archiva version (ie runnable
> for testing) and/or something easy to install/run with a simple : java
> -jar archiva.war :-)
>

> BTW my plan is to start with redback. (with providing sample ui with
> other techs).
>
> At the end we will have to choose the ui tech we will use.
> As I remember we talked about gwt or vaadin.
> IMHO if we try to add an ui plugin mechanism it will be more easy with vaadin.
> And with this there is the question about this plugin mechanism
> (dynamic or not ?).
> If dynamic the only solution will be using osgi (but a more long term
> feature :-) ).
>
> An other long term is to move to shiro to not have to maintain redback.
>
> Sure a lot of ideas !. Now time to do at least a small percentage :-)
>

>>> No objections ? (btw I will start first with red back)

Olivier Lamy
Talend : http://talend.com

Re: Archiva refactoring

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.