Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Gabriel Bräscher <ga...@gmail.com> on 2021/05/03 15:25:08 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] Renaming default git branch name from 'master' to 'main'

Hi all,

For the record, there have been some discussions on the [VOTE] thread (
https://markmail.org/thread/n6sbl3vgm7hy77zj) that have not been addressed
here.
Having such a discussion is way better than not having it. I would like to
thank you all (both mail threads) for bringing points of view and being
open-minded with anyone's opinion and background.

So far I have been quietly voting +1 on both mail threads. However, I will
raise the reasons behind it.
I used two factors when voting for it: a) technical view; b) personal point
of view.

a) First, let's aim just at the technical part -- that also carries some
personal point of view:
The fact that major players, such as GitHub itself, are changing their
patterns will not impact us right now, it will definitely take some time to
impact us all. But as soon as people get used to the new default branch, it
will become the first and only option for many developers. I would bet that
it will take about 5 years when the (today) students will become graduated
in many IT fields and o out with their default branch as the "main" branch.

It is important to understand how big GitHub is in the software development
industry; probably we will soon get more and more big players aiming
towards that direction.

We have two options: "fight" with this, or "accept" and become part of such
a standard avoiding becoming "the project with a legacy branch
architecture" in 2025.

Additionally, when describing the "master" branch to someone that has no
idea of GIT (e.g. an IT student, or anyone that think we from IT are all a
bunch of crazy geeks) it is quite easy to tell for the person that this is
the "default" branch, or the "main" branch, the first branch, root branch,
or whatever. The point here is that I normally would search for better
words to express the "master" branch meaning.

So, why not change to a name that has instant meaning and also will become
the next IT industry standard?

b) personal point of view -- my background, country of origin, culture,
generation, etc :-)

I don't feel uncomfortable with the word master isolated in the context of
branches, as there is no slave or servant attached to the definition of a
default branch.
The default branch is the source of "truth" and the "master" world can fit
very well with that definition.

On the other hand. there are also other options that perfectly describe the
"default" branch, as raised in the "technical" arguments.

Like many words, it can carry multiple meanings that fit in each context.
There is the "Master of Science" degree; as well as the "master <>
apprentice" relation; and of course, it is always a good thing when someone
"masters" a knowledge. However, I perfectly understand that the IT industry
and academic world adopts widely the term "master <> slave", which can help
people to feel uncomfortable with the word "master".

Additionally, the first meanings that any dictionary brings normally are
not "nice" ones [1]:

> (I) the person who owns, cares for, and controls an animal:
> "With careful training, a dog will obey its master completely."
> (II) a person who employs a servant or owns a slave:
> "Servants had to obey their masters."
> (III) a person who has control over a particular situation:
> "She was the victim of her circumstances rather than the master of her
> fate."
> (IV) and even, the captain of a ship that carries goods :
> "Ship's masters are in charge of a ship, its crew and any cargo it is
> carrying, at sea and in port."
> (V) a person who is very skilled in a particular job or activity:
> "He was a master of disguise."
> (VI) a famous and very skilled painter:
> "This painting is clearly the work of a master."
> (VII) a male school teacher:
> "Mr. Wells was my Latin master at school."

[1] https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/master

And you get the point ... it all depends on the context.

The world is changing and allowing us to raise and openly discuss some
taboos that would never be possible a couple of decades ago.
I don't believe that we are making the world any better by changing the
default branch name. Maybe some decades in the future these small changes
will payout (or not). But I believe that the fact that we are opening such
discussions allows us to very slowly improve society.

CONCLUSION:
+1: I don't see any harm in changing the "main" branch name, and I do
understand the reasons why. I also believe that as long as big players on
IT migrate to such a pattern it will be a question of WHEN but not IF.

Posted by Suresh Anaparti <Su...@shapeblue.com>.
Thanks Gabriel, for sharing your insights on this change.

GitHub, GitLab, Bitbucket and other players have already accepted this change for inclusiveness, and renamed the default branch to 'main'. Sometime or other, CloudStack has to take this change, to be in-line with the Git community.

The main objective here, is to make the community more inclusive place for everyone globally. This requires renaming the default branch to 'main' (as others) in the CloudStack related git repositories and replacing the offensive words in source code, file names and documentation. Please note that the third party / dependency libraries, the terminologies used from external systems (storage, hypervisor, etc) and deprecated / archived repositories (Eg. cloudstack-primate) are excluded from this change.

Regards,
Suresh